This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Hot on the heels of Hyatt’s new partnership between its mobile app and car service Uber, the hotel brand has just launched a promotion that will earn you 1,000 bonus Gold Passport points for stays booked via its mobile app between now and December 31, 2014.
Hyatt’s Mobile App
Hyatt’s free app, available for both iPhone and Android, allows you to research the global brand’s 550 hotel and resort properties by destination, as well as book, view and cancel reservations. You can also use the app to check in or out, access directions to a property, get local info, and keep track of your Gold Passport account. When Uber service is available at a given Hyatt property, an Uber button will appear on your reservation screen, allowing you to directly order a ride.
The Value of Gold Passport Points
As a Gold Passport member, the 1,000 bonus points you’ll get with this promotion will only take you a fifth of the way to a 5,000-point redemption for a free night at Hyatt Category 1 hotels – which aren’t especially sexy, with the exception of the Bali Hyatt – but you’ll still earn five Gold Passport points for each dollar you spend at Hyatt properties.
Despite Hyatt’s recent devaluation, I still feel that Gold Passport points offer great value not too far behind Starwood Preferred Guest’s Starpoints. I value Hyatt points around 1.8 cents apiece, and I love redeeming them at high-tier Hyatt properties like the Andaz 5th Avenue in New York and the Hotel du Louvre in Paris. Other redemption options may offer lower returns, but it’s good to know that Hyatt has also recently partnered with MLife properties in Las Vegas, so you can redeem your Gold Passport points that way if you’re a Sin City regular.
Other Current Mobile App Promotions
Hyatt isn’t the only travel brand currently running a mobile app promotion:
- Club Carlson will give you 3,000 Gold points for app bookings made and completed now through November 16, 2014.
- National Car Rental is allowing you to earn 75 bonus points on a mobile app booking between now and January 31, 2015. (That doesn’t sound like much, but really it’s about one eighth of the way to a free rental day).
Also keep in mind that Starwood and Hilton occasionally offer bonuses on mobile app bookings. If you’re loyal to these or another airline, hotel, or car rental agency, it’s worth downloading their mobile app so you won’t miss out on bonus earning opportunities.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards