This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a round-up of the week’s points, miles and travel industry news you may have missed:
Reminder: Targeted US Airways 100% Bonus on Purchased Miles: US Airways is again offering a bonus of up to 100% on purchased Dividend Miles now through September 30th, 2014. However, unlike some recent promotions, this one is targeted. Check your email for a notice from US Airways to see if your account is eligible. The bonus amounts are as follows:
- Purchase 1,000-9,000 miles, get a 25% bonus
- Purchase 10,000-19,000 miles, get a 50% bonus
- Purchase 20,000-29,000 miles, get a 75% bonus
- Purchase 30,000-50,000 miles, get a 100% bonus
The maximum bonus you can earn is 50,000 miles, so any miles purchased beyond that amount will not qualify for the promotion. Miles normally cost cost 3.5 cents each, plus a 7.5% tax. If you choose to purchase the maximum of 50,000 miles, the cost is lowered to about 1.88 cents per mile.
50% Aeroplan Bonus Miles For Air Canada Flights: Air Canada has launched a new 50% bonus Aeroplan miles promotion for flights on Air Canada. You must register, book and fly by October 31, 2014. The offer is valid on one-way and round-trip flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Rouge flights in Tango, Flex, Latitude, Premium Economy Lowest, Premium Economy Flexible, Premium rouge, Business Class Lowest and Business Class Flexible fare classes.
Avianca Buy LifeMiles 100% Bonus: Avianca is offering a 100% bonus on purchased Lifemiles. Miles must be purchased in increments of 1,000, and each package of 1,000 miles costs $35.40 including all taxes applicable to each country (except for Peru, Colombia and Costa Rica, where the cost is slightly amended). You can buy a maximum of 150,000 LifeMiles per calendar year and 75,000 per transaction, and the bonus miles count towards the annual limit. This offer is valid until September 30, 2014.
Earn Up To 5,000 Topbonus Miles With Airberlin Partners: You can earn extra miles if you use the services of at least two different Airberlin partners. The more topbonus partners you use, the more miles you can earn:
- 2 partner services – 2,000 extra award miles
- 3 partner services – 3,000 extra award miles
- 4 partner services – 4,000 extra award miles
- 5 partner services – 5,000 extra award miles
You have until October 31, 2014 to use the topbonus partners, and you must register for the promotion here, where you can also see a list of participating partners.
Get Delta Skymiles for Hilton Hawaii Stays: You can earn 1,000 bonus Delta SkyMiles per night for stays of three nights or more at participating Hilton properties in Hawaii. The participating properties are:
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki
Hilton Waikiki Beach
Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club
Grand Waikikiian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Kings’ Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ho’olei at Grand Wailea
You must stay before January 31, 2015, and you must have your Hilton Double Dip option set to Points + Miles and have Delta SkyMiles designated as the preferred partner. You must register for this offer before your stay.
Save 35% Sharing AAdvantage Miles: You can save up to 35% on transfer costs when sharing AAdvantage Miles. The discount is tiered as follows:
- Share 5,000-14,000 miles, save 25%
- Share 15,000-24,000 miles, save 30%
- Share 25,000 or more miles, save 35%
Before the discount, it costs $20 per every 1,000 miles you transfer, plus a $35 transaction charge. Members may transfer up to 100,000 miles and receive up to 100,000 miles per account, per calendar year. Shared AAdvantage miles do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million Miler status. The offer ends at 11:00 pm CT on September 30, 2014.
IHG Launches “Into The Night” Promotion Offering Free Night Stays & Reward Points: IHG (formerly Priority Club) is kicking off fall with their “Into The Night” promo, which gives Reward members the opportunity to earn up to 50,000 bonus IHG points, two free nights, or 10,000 airline miles for completing a selection of stays and other tasks. The offers are targeted and vary for each individual account. You can find out what your particular offer is and track your status is by logging into your IHG account here. This promotion runs through the end of 2014.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.