This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We recently wrote about Amazon Payments and the Ability to Send and Receive Money with a credit card. Currently with Amazon Payments, users can send and receive up to $1,000 each calendar month using a credit card without being charged any fees, creating the opportunity to earn credit card points for expenses that might otherwise be paid in cash or by check, like a house cleaner, piano lessons, loans between friends, etc. Money received can then be withdrawn to a linked bank account (again with no fees), meaning it doesn’t cost either party anything.
Well, I just received the following email from Amazon which states that this option will be ending on October 13, 2014.
“Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/
I’m disappointed that this feature is being taken away, since it allowed me to put an extra $12,000 per year on my credit cards for things that I paid for anyway, making it much easier to meet minimum spend requirements for new cards. However there are still other ways to use credit cards for expenses that you might typically pay with a check or cash. For suggestions, check out Flyertalk’s forum devoted to the subject.
How will this latest change to Amazon Payments affect your spending habits?
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card at a participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotel within your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- From now through July 31, 2018: Earn 2 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.
- On August 1, 2018, SPG will convert every one Starpoint in a loyalty member account to three points. In general, corresponding redemption changes will occur. Visit members.marriott.com for details.
- Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Earn free nights at over 1,500 hotels and resorts in over 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees