This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Citi ramped up the value of their Thank You program by adding 8 new transfer partners, including Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. While most of these Asian/Middle Eastern frequent flyer programs are not as lucrative as programs based in North America, there are still great values to be had, as we wrote about in this follow-up post.
Today Citi announced that Flying Blue, the frequent flyer program of carriers Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways and TAROM) is now a 1:1 transfer partner. This new transfer partner is great for taking advantage of Flying Blue’s rotating reduced priced promo awards, and for redeeming for one-way Delta saver award flights. Flying Blue also allows a stopover and open jaw routing on roundtrip awards, so even if you have to pay fuel surcharges, you may be able to get well more than the standard 1 cent per point or less that Citi gives for ThankYou point redemptions.
Boosting Your ThankYou Points
You can only transfer points to airline partners if you have the Citi Premier, Citi Prestige, and Citi Chairman cards. The Citi Premier comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 ThankYou points: 20,000 after you spend $2,000 in the first three months of cardmembership, plus another 30,000 after spending $3,000 in the first three months of the second year of cardmembership. The annual fee of $125 is waived for the first year, but not the second.
Formerly, those 50,000 points were worth about $625 in travel. I now value ThankYou points at 1.5 cents a piece, meaning the Citi Premier now offers at least $750 worth of value, 20% more than before these transfer options were available. The same could be said of points earned from other ThankYou Rewards cards, like the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card. Since ThankYou points can be combined between accounts, all the points you earn on other cards will also be eligible for transfer partners once you have the Premier, Prestige, or Chairman cards.
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on travel including gas stations
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent at restaurants and on entertainment
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- 50,000 Points are redeemable for $625 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $500 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.