This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta SkyBonus, the airline’s business rewards program, has recently made a few updates to its rewards menu and account requirements, and initiated a targeted double bonus offer on select routes. I don’t write often about business rewards programs, but they can be a great way to boost your miles earning, in some cases even if you don’t have a registered business.
Membership in the Delta SkyBonus program is free, and doesn’t require proof of business ownership. You’ll earn points when you or one of your employees takes a qualifying flight on Delta or its partners Air France, KLM, and Alitalia. You can then redeem points for things like in-flight drink coupons, SkyClub visits, and award travel. Delta periodically runs sign-up promotions for the SkyBonus program, so if you aren’t already a member, consider waiting to join until opportunity knocks again.
Changes to the Rewards Menu
For existing members, Delta just instituted several changes to the program you’ll want to know about. As of July 30, 2014, Delta has replaced its 16 region-specific rewards with a new, more flexible system-wide reward. They also reduced the points required for some reward certificates, but increased pricing for the premium transcontinental service between New York JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle. Finally, Delta extended the Silver Medallion status reward to provide 12 months of Medallion benefits.
None of these changes are earth-shaking. Spending SkyBonus points on Silver Medallion isn’t a good deal even for 12 months. The reduced awards sound nice, though the award chart doesn’t seem to be reflecting the new prices yet, so it’s hard to say how useful those reductions will be.
In addition, beginning July 30, 2014, you’ll earn additional points when flying through Memphis. Premium fares to/ from Memphis will earn 30 SkyBonus points per dollar of eligible flight revenue, and all other fare types will earn 6 points per dollar of eligible flight revenue.
Delta is currently running a targeted promotion for the SkyBonus program that gives double SkyBonus points for each nonstop purchased ticket between the following select routes from now until September 30, 2014:
- Boston (BOS) and London (LHR)
- Los Angeles (LAX) and Monterrey, Mexico (MTY), Sydney, Australia (SYD), or Tokyo Haneda (HND)
- Newark (EWR) and London (LHR) or Paris (CDG)
- New York (JFK) and Bogotá, Columbia (BOG), Dominican Republic (SDQ), London (LHR), San Jose, Costa Rica (SJU), Singapore (SIN), or Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Seattle (SEA) and London (LHR) or South Korea (ICN)
- Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver (YYZ, YUL, YYC, YVR) and Europe, Middle East, Africa, or India (All Destinations)*
- United States to Hong Kong, China (HKG)
To take advantage of this offer, your company must register prior to purchasing airfare on any nonstop eligible ticket between the above mentioned routes by September 30, 2014. Sign in to your account and click on the “Your SkyBonus” tab, then select “Promotions”. Flights operated by carriers other than Delta and its codeshare partners are excluded from this offer. Bonus points may be earned multiple times, and one-way travel will qualify for the bonus points. Check your inbox to see if you were targeted.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta.
- Earn one mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights - that's a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.