This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amex OPEN Savings is a benefit of Amex business credit cards and a good reason to consider getting one, because you can earn up to either a 10% discount or 4 bonus Membership Rewards points per dollar (although sometimes a lower 3% discount and 2 bonus points) automatically at certain merchants. You can earn additional points or receive discounts in the form of statements credits for different categories like lodging, transportation, shipping, technology, services and gifts.
Current featured partners include:
Hyatt: Get a 5% discount or 2 additional Membership Rewards points for each eligible dollar spent up to $10,000 per calendar year with Hyatt Hotels & Resorts including Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, HYATT and Hyatt Regency Hotels.
Hertz: Get a 3% discount credited to your American Express statement OR 1 additional Membership Rewards point for every eligible dollar spent up to $500, 5% discount OR 2 additional points for every eligible dollar spent above $500 and up to $2,000, and 10% discount OR 4 additional points for every eligible dollar spent above $2,000 per calendar year, per Card Account.
Carey: Get a 5% discount credited to your American Express statement or 2 additional Membership Rewards points for each eligible dollar spent.
FedEx: Get a 5% discount credited or 2 additional Membership Rewards points on each eligible dollar spent on qualifying services up to $20,000 per calendar year, per card account with FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight shipping.
FedEx Office: Get a 5% discount or 2 additional Membership Rewards points on every dollar spent up to $20,000 per calendar year, per card account.
HP Home and Home Office Store: Get a 3% discount credited to your American Express statement or 1 additional Membership Rewards point on every eligible dollar spent up to $500, 5% discount or 2 additional points for every eligible dollar spent above $500 and up to $1,500, and 10% discount or 4 additional points on every eligible dollar spent above $1,500 and up to $30,000, per calendar year, per card account.
1-800-Flowers: Get a 5% discount credited to your American Express statement or 2 additional Membership Rewards points for each dollar spent.
Barnes & Noble (BN.com): Get a 5% discount or 2 additional Membership Rewards points for each dollar spent.
Depending on how many Amex OPEN cards you have, you can log in and choose to receive discounts or earn points for each card. If you were to spend $1,000 on a stay at the Andaz West Hollywood, you would receive $50 cash back or 2,000 additional points. I value Membership Rewards points at 1.8 cents apiece, so 2,000 points would only be equivalent to $36, and you’d be better off choosing the discount in that case. Luckily, you can change your preference once per calendar month, though changes can take up to 72 hours to take effect.
I personally have the Starwood Business Amex and the Business Platinum Card. While my Starwood Business card is part of the OPEN Savings program, it’s only eligible for the discounts. I was able to choose between the two benefits for my Business Platinum card and decided to go with the extra Membership Rewards points for now, since I prefer to boost my point balance when I can.
As with all points-related decisions, before you put your strategy in place, think about where you’re going to spend your money and what amount you’re going to spend. Then compare the potential discount with the value you could get out of the extra points you’d earn instead, and choose whichever will serve you better.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.