JetBlue 20% Refund on Award Redemptions Through July 25
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is running a promotion through this Friday (11:59 pm Eastern time on July 25, to be exact), effectively offering a 20% discount for all award redemptions for travel between September 2 and October 31, 2014. This offer is not a true discount, since you will initially be charged the full price, and the 20% will be credited back to you in 4-6 weeks.
This offer is available for travel either in economy, or in JetBlue’s new Mint Business Class between JFK and LAX. Award flights in Mint start as low as 35,000 points (or sometimes slightly lower), which means you could book a transcontinental business class flight for under 28,000 points this fall.
I checked flights between LAX and JFK for several dates in September and October, and found seats in Mint starting at 34,800 points. With the current promotion, you’d get a refund of 6,960 points, so your total outlay would be just 27,840 points. I normally value JetBlue points in a range of 1-1.3 cents apiece, or up to 1.7 cents apiece when redeeming for seats in Mint, which start at $599. However, in this case you’d be getting well over 2.1 cents apiece, which is excellent value. With this promotion, you should also be able to get more than 1.6 cents each out of JetBlue redemptions in economy.
If you have JetBlue award travel planned for September or October that you haven’t booked yet, this promotion is a no-brainer. Make sure to book by the end of Friday Eastern time to take advantage of the 20% refund.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.