The Top 5 Reasons I’m Loyal to SPG & 90,000 Point Giveaway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
There are a lot of companies out there competing for our business whenever we leave home and need to rest our heads somewhere. Whether it’s luxury hotel chains or sites that allow people to rent out their own apartments, there are more ways than ever to find a home away from home.
Over the past couple years I’ve chosen Starwood Preferred Guest as my preferred loyalty program for a bunch of different reasons.
Here are the top 5:
1) Elite perks: In 2012 SPG announced some great new elite status perks, like suite upgrade awards and continental breakfast amenity choice for Platinum members. As a 75-night Platinum member I also get the ability to request check-in at any time of the day (YOUR24) and whenever you use points, you still earn elite credit.
2) SPG American Express Card: I carry both the personal and business co-branded SPG credit cards by American Express. In addition to earning 2x points on SPG stays, they automatically give you 2 stays/5 nights of elite status credit per year and have Chip + Signature technology. Through June 30, 2014 you can get 30,000 points after spending $5,000 within 6 months and the $65 annual fee is waived the first year.
3) Aspirational properties: A hotel program is only as strong as the participating hotels in the portfolio and SPG has a wide range of high-end and budget properties across their 9 brands (St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Le Meridien, W, Westin, Sheraton, Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton). They also compile a list of member favorite hotels every year which rank the hotels rated highest by over 1.1 million member reviews. I’m looking forward to my upcoming stay at the architecturally stunning Hotel Marqués de Riscal in Elciego, Spain.
4) Valuable points: I run a monthly valuation of different miles and points currencies and SPG is currently my top valued currency. Not only can you redeem for hotels (and get the 5th night free on awards, use Cash & Points to stretch the value of your points or use Nights & Flights to get hotel and airline miles), but there are also 32 airline transfer partners. This means you can transfer points to frequent flyer programs of all three major alliances, but super valuable free agents like Alaska Airlines. Best part? Many of the transfers are 1:1 and come with a 25% bonus per 20,000 points transferred, so for example 20,000 SPG points = 25,000 Delta/ American/ Alaska/ US Airways miles.
5) Great customer service: Some hotel chains go above and beyond and SPG does just that. Their social media team at @SPG is quick to answer any questions and I’ve always had solid recognitions as an SPG Platinum member.
I had the opportunity to team up with SPG and American Express to film a video around Miami with TPG canine mascot Miles about why I love the city and also some tips on Maximizing your SPG points- check it out here:
30,000 Points x 3 Giveaway!
For this week’s giveaway, the great people at Starwood have donated 3 sets of 30,000 Starpoints for our Thursday Giveaway to celebrate the limited time offer of 30,000 points on the SPG Amex. Simply enter at on our Facebook Page and three random winners will be selected to win 30,000 Starpoints each- enough for a free night at some of their top hotels around the world (or up to 10 nights at category 1 hotels!)!
For more on SPG, check out:
The Ultimate Guide To Starwood Preferred Guest Airline Transfer Partners
Starwood “Enhances” Cash & Points Awards
Spotlight on Starwood Preferred Guest Elite Status and Why I Continue To Qualify For Platinum
Maximizing Starwood Preferred Guest Airline Transfers
Welcome to The Points Guy!