Capital One Venture Rewards Card Bonus Now 40,000 Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Card has doubled its sign up bonus from 20,000 miles to 40,000 after $3,000 in spend within the first 3 months and the $59 annual fee is waived the first year.
While 20,000 miles was equal to $200 you can now get $400 in travel when redeeming those miles to cover expenses like airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more. However, these miles cannot be transferred to any frequent flyer or hotel programs, but you can use them towards buying any flight/hotel you want.
This card earns 2X miles per $1 on every purchase, so you don’t have to strategically use it on special bonus categories. If you’re redeeming your points for travel, this card gets you 2% back on everything you spend because every mile is worth 1 cent and you earn 2 per dollar spent on all purchases. Plus, when you redeem Venture Miles to cover your travel expenses, you also earn airline miles on your redemptions, which you normally do not get when you use normal airline miles, so using these miles to buy tickets can help you attain and retain valuable elite status.
Capital One has had sign-up bonuses of 50,000 back in January and even up to 100,000 points with this card, but it’s been nearly two years since we’ve seen an offer like that. This is the highest it’s been for a while, so if you’ve been waiting to get this card, I don’t foresee it going much higher anytime soon. Note: When you apply for a Capital One card, they will generally pull your credit from all three agencies, so the hard inquiry on your credit may be greater than with most other credit card companies that do one pull.
If you’re interested in fixed value cards, another great option with a similar sign up bonus is the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World MasterCard which offers 40,000 Arrival miles after $3,000 spent within the first 3 month, equivalent to $420 in travel redemptions. The Arrival Plus card also earns 2 miles per dollar spent but one of the main benefits is that you will receive 5% of your miles back when redeemed for qualifying travel statement credits, thus getting you 2.1% back on all of your spend, which is slightly better than the Venture. The Arrival Plus card is also now available with Chip + Pin capability which strengthens security and improves the likelihood of acceptance when traveling abroad.
Fixed Value Vs. Transferrable?
Whichever card you decide is best for you, the fundamental strength of fixed value cards is that they allow you greater flexibility when using miles on any airline or hotel and you generally earn miles and elite miles on those redemptions. That being said, Capital One and Arrival Plus Miles cannot be transferred to frequent flyer and guest programs and their redemptions are tied to the value of the redemption, so they are generally not the best for super expensive flights and hotel stays. They’re great though for covering costs not typically covered by traditional miles, like award ticket fuel surcharges, bed and breakfast stays, trains and taxis. The best strategy is to diversify your miles and points and with all of the frequent flyer program devaluations lately, I’m putting more and more of my spend on fixed value cards.
For more information, check out these posts:
Maximizing Fixed Value Travel Credit Cards
Barclaycard Arrival Bonus Hits 40,000 Miles
Details on the Barclaycard Arrival Travel Redemptions
Capital One Venture and VentureOne Bonuses Up To 20,000 Miles
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees