Where Should You Bank Miles When Flying Royal Air Maroc?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Recently, TPG reader Rosie emailed me to ask:
“If the airline I’m soon flying, Royal Air Moroc, is not affiliated with any alliance, am I out of luck when it comes to banking miles? Does this mean that the miles won’t count?”
Since Rosie is choosing to fly Royal Air Maroc, though, she’ll be relieved to hear that while the airline isn’t in an alliance, their Safar Flyer loyalty program does have a few transfer partners. I think the Royal Air Maroc partner that makes the most sense for miles-banking is Iberia. The Spanish carrier is owned by British Airways, and the two airlines share the Avios mileage program. Note that you’ll only earn .3 Avios on discounted Economy fares, but you’ll earn 1 Avios per mile flown for full-fare Economy, and a 50% bonus for Business and First Class. Furthermore, Iberia Avios have some decent short-haul redemption options, and they’re also a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards. So go ahead and top up your Avios account, and at the very least earn yourself a short-haul award.
Otherwise, good luck flying Royal Air Maroc. I have friends who’ve flown the airline without many good experiences to speak of, but you could well prove them wrong. Besides, it’s not about the flight, it’s about the destination!
For more information related to this post, check out:
Destination of the Week: Marrakech
How To Get Around the Glitch Moving Avios Between British Airways And Iberia
Maximizing Iberia Flights With British Airways Avios
The Ultimate Guide To American Express Membership Rewards Airline Transfers
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees