(Video) My Ride Along The Snowball Express and My Million Mile Donation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure and the honor of riding along on American Airlines’ Snowball Express, a charity event that helps the children and families of our fallen military heroes and treats them to a weekend of holiday fun and wonderful memories in Dallas-Ft. Worth. I had donated the one million frequent flyer miles I’d earned during the eBags 35X miles promo back in October to the charity run by American Airlines, Kids in Need, and they in turn allotted a portion of my donation to this particular event.
Over 2,000 people were flown to Dallas from around the country and American had actually donated 9 charter jets to bring many of the families there. My miles came in handy for flying people who weren’t in the cities serviced by charters- and apparently my donation allowed them to clear a bunch of families who were on the waitlist to attend, which felt great to hear! There ended up being a couple seats on one of the charter planes out of Nashville and when I was presented with the opportunity to tag along by American Airlines, I didn’t hesitate for a second because it was a rare chance to see airline miles put to great use in a charity setting.
From the start of the event at 6am at Nashville airport, the spirit was incredible and overall I was blown away to be able to see this incredible charity in action. Take a look at my experience below- understandably I didn’t record any of my experiences with the families I met, but you can still get a feel for the event. I can’t express how much it meant for these families, who are dealing with such tragedy, to be able to bond and focus on giving kids the best experience possible.
We’re at that time of year where we all think of others just a little bit more and give of our time, money and resources to those in need. My experience has made me want to do even more, and I hope you enjoyed the video and that if you haven’t already, you’ll consider giving to a worthy organization. I feel so blessed with all the wonderful things I get to do and people I get to meet – and my readers are a huge part of that, so I cannot thank you enough for making The Points Guy the site it is. This was just one way to give back, but I’ll be looking for more in the future, and I welcome your suggestions.
In the meantime, I wish you all a very merry Christmas, a happy, healthy holiday season and a great new year with a lot more travel, many more points, and the opportunity to do good in the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees