(Video) My Ride Along The Snowball Express and My Million Mile Donation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure and the honor of riding along on American Airlines’ Snowball Express, a charity event that helps the children and families of our fallen military heroes and treats them to a weekend of holiday fun and wonderful memories in Dallas-Ft. Worth. I had donated the one million frequent flyer miles I’d earned during the eBags 35X miles promo back in October to the charity run by American Airlines, Kids in Need, and they in turn allotted a portion of my donation to this particular event.
Over 2,000 people were flown to Dallas from around the country and American had actually donated 9 charter jets to bring many of the families there. My miles came in handy for flying people who weren’t in the cities serviced by charters- and apparently my donation allowed them to clear a bunch of families who were on the waitlist to attend, which felt great to hear! There ended up being a couple seats on one of the charter planes out of Nashville and when I was presented with the opportunity to tag along by American Airlines, I didn’t hesitate for a second because it was a rare chance to see airline miles put to great use in a charity setting.
From the start of the event at 6am at Nashville airport, the spirit was incredible and overall I was blown away to be able to see this incredible charity in action. Take a look at my experience below- understandably I didn’t record any of my experiences with the families I met, but you can still get a feel for the event. I can’t express how much it meant for these families, who are dealing with such tragedy, to be able to bond and focus on giving kids the best experience possible.
We’re at that time of year where we all think of others just a little bit more and give of our time, money and resources to those in need. My experience has made me want to do even more, and I hope you enjoyed the video and that if you haven’t already, you’ll consider giving to a worthy organization. I feel so blessed with all the wonderful things I get to do and people I get to meet – and my readers are a huge part of that, so I cannot thank you enough for making The Points Guy the site it is. This was just one way to give back, but I’ll be looking for more in the future, and I welcome your suggestions.
In the meantime, I wish you all a very merry Christmas, a happy, healthy holiday season and a great new year with a lot more travel, many more points, and the opportunity to do good in the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.