Follow Me on the Snowball Express This Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As I wrote last week, my main charity donation this holiday season was a two-parter. I donated approximately 100 designer handbags I had purchased during October’s amazing deal where you could earn 35 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent at eBags.com to Housing Works, an organization in New York City which gives housing, medical, and legal support to those who are homeless and living with HIV & AIDS.
Then I gave one million AAdvantage miles that I earned from the purchase were given to Kids In Need, a program run by American Airlines that helps numerous charities helping to improve the lives of children around the world. My favorite kind of way to maximize miles is by double-dipping!
One of the causes that will benefit from the mileage donation is the Snowball Express – a charity that helps the children and families of our fallen military heroes and treats them to a weekend of holiday fun and wonderful memories.
I was thrilled to be invited to come along on the Snowball Express this yea. The charter I’m on is picking up families in Nashville and Little Rock before taking place in Dallas-Ft. Worth this weekend with over 2,000 children and spouses of fallen military members. Here are my thoughts on the events, then read on below for what I plan on doing while involved this weekend.
I met up with some of the American Airlines/ Snowball Express team in Nashville last night, and we’re already on our way to Texas with a wonderful group of people including Captain Jim Palmershein, American’s Director of Veteran’s Affairs and one of the oldest board members of Snowball Express. He filled me in on what Snowball Express is all about and what to expect.
Basically all of Dallas-Ft. Worth really pulls together for this amazing event. The kids get a Presidential-style motorcade and the city shuts down the main highway for them, so I can’t wait to see that.
Before now, I have been a bit skeptical of donating miles to charities sometimes because I’m never sure exactly where they’re going, but Jim took the time to tell me personally that my million-mile donation allowed families that don’t live in cities that are getting charter jets, to come. There was a wait list for the event this year, but my donation allowed American to clear several families and get them to Dallas for the weekend – and that is truly an amazing feeling that beats flying any first class I’ve been in.
I really encourage people to donate miles if nothing else – they absolutely go to an amazing cause. The one downside is that those families might now have to listen to me sing Christmas carols on the charter (which I’m afraid might damage ear drums!).
Apart from my warbling, the weekend has a lot of exciting events in store, including a Neiman Marcus event, movie screenings, musical performances, coffee get-togethers, a parade, a concert by Gary Sinise (who is an instrumental Snowball Express supporter) and his Lt. Dan Band at the Zoo, and more.
I can’t wait to enjoy and help out with as many of the fun events as possible, so I hope that you’ll follow along with me on Twitter and Instagram and Snowball Express on Facebook so you can see what we get up to this weekend and what Snowball Express is all about.
And in the meantime, if you’d like to to contribute to Kids In Need, Operation Hero Miles or Snowball Express please visit the links below where you can make a donation, sponsor a child, or find out about volunteer opportunities.
Donate Your Miles: Miles can be donated to Operation Hero Miles to help bring home America’s heroes or Miles for Kids in Need. A minimum donation of 1,000 miles is required. Members who have an available balance of less than 1,000 miles may donate their entire balance.
Make a Contribution: Donations can be submitted online by credit card or by mailing in a check to Snowball Express c/o Amegy Bank Dept D8256 P.O Box 650002 Dallas, Texas 75265-0002.
Sponsor a Child Program: $250 will help bring one child to attend this event that honors and celebrates their hero. This amount helps cover everything for four days including food, lodging, entertainment, transportation, and more.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees