Buy Delta MQMs to Reach Or Maintain Your Status for 2014
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seeing as we have only a few more weeks until we ring in 2014, that means many people are making that last mad, desperate dash for elite status re-qualification.
I’m getting tons of emails and tweets asking for help trying to hit the next level- or simply maintain what has already been earned. Some calls for help are reasonable, but I’ve gotten a couple crazy ones too!
However, Delta has a possible answer to some re-qualification woes. Conveniently (and as they also did last year), Delta is offering MQMs for purchase – without having to fly the actual miles. Now through December 31st, 2013, you can purchase between 2,500 and 10,000 Medallion Qualifying Miles which will post on your 2013 balance and be applied towards your 2014 status. However, beware…these MQMs don’t come cheap!
Prices are as follows for no status or Silver Medallion Status:
- 2,500 MQMs for $475
- 5,000 MQMs for $675
- 7,500 MQMs for $875
- 10,000 MQMs for $1075
Prices for Gold Medallion Status members are even higher:
- 2,500 MQMs for $595
- 5,000 MQMs for $895
- 7,500 MQMs for $1195
- 10,000 MQMs for $1495
Prices for Platinum and Diamond Medallion Status members are EVEN higher:
- 2,500 MQMs for $795
- 5,000 MQMs for $1195
- 7,500 MQMs for $1595
- 10,000 MQMs for $1995
These prices have significantly increased from last year (example, last year as a Silver you could buy 10,000 MQMs for $995). Is this worth it? Really, it’s a case by case basis, and it depends how important having elite status is to you!
Make sure to be aware of all the terms and conditions associated with buying the MQMs.
- MQMs purchased will be deposited to your 2013 MQM balance
- MQMs purchased through this Buy MQMs offer are nonrefundable
- Rollover MQMs are a Medallion benefit only. General members with fewer than 25,000 MQMs by December 31, 2013, will not roll over unused MQMs
- Members who qualify for Rollover MQMs toward 2015 Medallion status must also earn the minimum amount of Medallion Qualification Dollars effective for January 1, 2014
- MQMs will post to your SkyMiles® account within 24 hours of purchase.
- If applicable, Medallion status and Million Miler™ status will be updated within 24 hours of MQMs purchase
- The minimum/maximum MQMs per transaction are 2,500 / 10,000
- The maximum MQMs that may be purchased for one SkyMiles account for the 2014 Medallion year is 10,000
- All transactions are processed in U.S. dollars
- All the terms and conditions of the SkyMiles program apply
American also has a program similar to this. Well, one in which you can pay for upgrades. Do you think paying (and not flying) is a better way to get upgrades and elite status? Or do you think it’s not worth it? Leave your comments below.