Hilton HHonors Offers Elites Expedited 2015 Requalification
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fast on the heels of Hilton’s announcement Monday that it would be discontinuing its Points + Variable Miles double dipping earning option, the program sent out emails to targeted elites who have already requalified for their current status in 2013 for the 2014 year the opportunity of a “Status Jumpstart” where all their future stays (not nights) through the end of 2013, in addition to their 2014 stays, will count towards their 2015 status.Per the terms and conditions, this is a targeted offer and is valid on eligible stays completed between November 1 and December 31, 2013 HHonors members must first register for the offer prior to the check-out of the first stay within the promotion period.
The offer applies only to stays and will not count towards the HHonors member’s Base Points or nights in 2014. The elite status you earn or maintain (through this promo will be valid until March 2016.
I think this is an interesting promo on Hilton’s part that’s sort of like Delta’s Rollover miles where any miles you earn above and beyond your elite status threshold requirement but below the next threshold count towards your next year’s elite status qualification – and it’s clearly a way for Hilton to encourage its elites who have already requalified for 2014 to continue staying at Hilton rather than straying to another chain. Another way to look at it, though, is that it cannabalizes your qualification activity for 2014, so if you are on the Hilton hamster wheel, you could finish your qualification early again – even earlier next year – and then try out some other chains once you hit your desired HHonors elite status threshold.
I think this would be a much better promo if Hilton offered rollover night credit in addition to the stay credit since you could theoretically book a holiday vacation of 10 nights – enough to requalify you for HHonors Silver status – but it would only count as a single stay toward next year’s qualification, whereas someone who booked 4 one-night stays would get four times the requalification credit.
Still earning stay credit is better than nothing, and if you are one of the targeted elites who got this offer and 1) are interested in requalifying despite the horrible changes to Hilton’s program this past year, and 2) have some short stays to book with Hilton before the end of the year, this could be worth getting in on.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.