Barclaycard Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World Mastercard 50,000-Mile Bonus Is Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Miles & More Premier World MasterCard
The Barclaycard Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World Mastercard usually only comes with a sign-up bonus of 20,000-30,000 miles, but Barclaycard just launched a new bonus offer on the card where you can earn a combined total of 50,000 award miles – 20,000 miles with first purchase or balance transfer and an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 on a purchase within the first 90 days.
Here are the details on the card:
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase or balance transfer
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 90 days after account opening
- Cardholders receive a companion ticket annually.
- Enjoy 2 award miles per $1 on Miles & More integrated airline ticket purchases
- Earn 1 award mile per $1 spent everywhere else
- No mileage expiration with monthly qualifying purchases
- 0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months after account opening, after that a variable APR currently 15.99% to 24.99% depending upon your creditworthiness
- $79 annual fee
While 50,000 miles isn’t earth-shattering, this is as high as the sign-up bonus on this card gets, and it is usually only around for a limited time, so if you’ve been thinking about getting in on this card, now is the time to do it.
Should You Apply?
One good reason to apply for this card is that it is a Barclay’s product, so if you’re all applied-out on American Express, Chase and Citi cards for the moment, it might be time to look at another issuer and another airline program.
Miles & More is the award program not only of Lufthansa, but also of SWISS and Austrian airlines. Finding premium award space on these airlines in advance (they tend to open up a lot more just a few days out) can be notoriously difficult using partner miles like US Airways or United, especially on SWISS and with Lufthansa First Class unless you have a Miles & More account since the program holds back award space for its own frequent flyers. So if you’re thinking about awards to Europe, it could be a good idea to bank some of these miles simply for that award space availability.
Lufthansa (and SWISS and Austrian) is part of Star Alliance, so you can use these miles on any of 27 partner airlines, including United and US Airways, and flying domestically is actually one of the sweet spots in the award chart since domestic flights are 25,000 in Economy, 35,000 in Business and 50,000 in First roundtrip, so you could potentially score some business class tickets for a real discount at that 35,000-mile level, and if you complete the minimum spending requirement, you will have more than enough miles for 3 one-way business class award tickets domestically.
50,000 miles is also enough for an economy class roundtrip ticket originating in the US to Europe on Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian for US-based members – other carriers will be 60,000, and remember, you can book one-way awards with Miles & More.
Lufthansa Miles & More is a transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest, so you could always use some of these points to top up your account for a specific award, and remember, when you transfer in increments of 20,000 points, you get a 5,000-mile bonus – 25% more miles.
This card also entitles you to a companion ticket. According to the card terms, “Cardmembers will receive an Economy Class Companion Ticket upon the first use of your new Account for a Purchase or Balance Transfer and on your Account opening anniversary every year you are a Cardmember.” This companion ticket is good only for economy travel from the US to Europe/Middle East/Africa and Far East and must be booked in H class (not full-fare economy, but not the most discounted either) or higher on Lufthansa-operated flights only, so you will be paying more for the first ticket, but getting the second one for free.
Like other companion tickets, taxes and fees must be paid for the revenue ticket as well as the companion ticket – the companion portion is only the airfare. While most people buy the cheapest fares, with Lufthansa, you only earn 50% of the mileage on these, so this program isn’t for anyone who wants to get full mileage on the cheapest fares. However, if you do pay for refundable or high-fare classes the companion ticket could be a decent value in some cases.
That’s the quick rundown on the card for those of you who might be in the market for a new mileage program to diversify your points portfolio. For more information on it as well as an example of how a companion ticket prices out, check out this post.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.