Qatar Airways Officially Joins Oneworld October 30, 2013
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last October, Qatar Airways announced it expected to join Oneworld in October 2013 sometime. While the airline has a codesharing agreement with American Airlines already, and last week, Qatar and British Airways announced reciprocal frequent flyer mileage earning would begin September 2, there was still no exact date for Qatar’s official Oneworld join date.
Well, no more need to speculate. According to this Oneworld announcement, Qatar Airways’ official join date will be October 30, 2013, and Oneworld flyers will be able to earn and redeem their miles on the airline starting then.
All in all, this is good news since Qatar is one of the Middle East’s premier carriers, and this opens up more flights to the 130 destinations it serves – including the Maldives and several cities within Southeast Asia – to Oneworld members, including those with their miles on American and British Airways.
The airline’s hub in Doha is also expanding and will be opening an enormous new airport with a capacity for 50 million annual passengers, making it another major Middle East hub to join Dubai and Abu Dhabi and a convenient transfer point between North America and destinations in Asia and the South Pacific.
The airline is also a 1:1 transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest, as are partners American and British Airways. However, I’m more excited by the fact that we’ll be able to redeem British Airways Avios on the airline since it’s a transfer partner of both Chase Ultimate Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards (which sometimes runs transfer bonuses), and that means there will be even more flexibility to use my transferable points to fly another great airline product to even more destinations.
Currently, Qatar flies to Chicago, Houston, New York JFK, Washington DC Dulles, and Montreal in North America with service to Philadelphia to start next year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.