How Can You Request a Better Bonus Offer After Applying for a Credit Card?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Brad tweeted:
This is one of the most vexing questions in the points world. Credit card offers change all the time – bonuses go up, bonuses go down; annual fees are waived the first year then they’re not; statement credits appear then disappear from offers – it’s enough to drive you crazy making sure you get in on the best offers.
Unfortunately, most credit card companies will not let you cancel your current card and apply for the same product and get a new offer, at least not after just one year, so don’t hastily re-apply for the same card.
What I would recommend is to ask the credit card company to match you to the new offer. You can tell them you just applied and that there is a better public offer that you found and ask if they will match it. The more recently you applied, the better your chances.
Some credit card companies are more lenient than others when it comes to this – it really just depends. American Express used to be very lenient and as long as you gave them the new offer code they would match it. However, more recently they have really cracked down and will no longer match new offers, so I would just caution you that whenever you apply for an American Express offer, that generally will be the best offer you’ll get.
When it comes to Chase, usually they will bump you up to the higher bonus as long as it is within 90 days, but again there is no written policy on this. Generally if you’re a good customer, the credit card companies want to keep you happy.
When it comes to getting the best offer possible at a certain time, check out the CreditCards.com Card Match tool which allows you to see if you have any special offers targeted towards you. Often the bonuses that are available through the Card Match Tool are 50-100% higher than the best current offers out there, so it’s always worth checking before you apply for a new credit card. Also, I always post the best public offers on my site, so you can be sure you’ll be getting the best offer available here.
I would say, the best way to start is to send a short secure message online and ask for the better bonus. If that doesn’t work, then pick up the phone and give the credit card companies a call. But, don’t get too angry, because you didn’t apply for the better offer, so you shouldn’t assume you would get it.
With that, I do know a lot of people have had success getting matched to a better offer, and even if you don’t get the full bonus differential, sometimes they’ll drop some courtesy points in your account. Once again, it never hurts to ask!
See these related posts:
Top 25 Travel Credit Cards With The Lowest Bonus Minimum Spending Requirements
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees