How Can You Expedite the Process of Receiving Credit Card Points from a Sign-up Bonus?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Matthew asks:
“Most airline credit cards I see say, “Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for Credits to post to your account” for their sign-up bonuses. If I want to travel within those 6-8 weeks (i.e. go home for Thanksgiving), is there any way to expedite that process, or specific cards that don’t have that mandatory hold period?”
Most credit card bonuses post when your statement closes after you have hit the minimum spending threshold required to earn that bonus. In order to get the sign-up bonus as quickly as possible, hit that minimum spending threshold as quickly as possible to get your points sooner. Banks also tend to be pretty flexible if you call them up to ask them to switch your statement closing date because a lot of people do this to synchronize their statements all coming in at once. You can ask them to bump it up sooner, and that way the points hit your account faster.
Some issuers are better about this than others. American Express, for instance, imposes a one-month pending phase between earning the bonus and receiving the points in your account, but you can always call them up and say that you’ve hit your minimum spend, you’ve paid off your statement and you’d like the points immediately because you need them, and they might be willing to work with you.
Above all, be proactive and polite, and remember, it never hurts to ask!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.