How Can You Expedite the Process of Receiving Credit Card Points from a Sign-up Bonus?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Matthew asks:
“Most airline credit cards I see say, “Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for Credits to post to your account” for their sign-up bonuses. If I want to travel within those 6-8 weeks (i.e. go home for Thanksgiving), is there any way to expedite that process, or specific cards that don’t have that mandatory hold period?”
Most credit card bonuses post when your statement closes after you have hit the minimum spending threshold required to earn that bonus. In order to get the sign-up bonus as quickly as possible, hit that minimum spending threshold as quickly as possible to get your points sooner. Banks also tend to be pretty flexible if you call them up to ask them to switch your statement closing date because a lot of people do this to synchronize their statements all coming in at once. You can ask them to bump it up sooner, and that way the points hit your account faster.
Some issuers are better about this than others. American Express, for instance, imposes a one-month pending phase between earning the bonus and receiving the points in your account, but you can always call them up and say that you’ve hit your minimum spend, you’ve paid off your statement and you’d like the points immediately because you need them, and they might be willing to work with you.
Above all, be proactive and polite, and remember, it never hurts to ask!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees