This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In honor of the 15th anniversary of its “Click ‘N Save” emails, Southwest is holding a 30% off sale on flights on certain dates this summer. It’s not exactly an overwhelming sale since flight dates are limited, but if the dates fit your travel needs, you might as well get a discount. Unfortunately, points aren’t pegged to the sale prices, so if you want to use your Rapid Rewards points for sale flights, you’ll actually be getting a worse value for them than the usual 1.8-1.9 cents you usually get with Wanna Get Away fares. Southwest Rapid Rewards is a fixed value point system, so normally cheaper fares = cheaper point redemptions, but not in this case. I hope this is a glitch more than a policy change.
Use the promo code SAVE30 on reservations booked by July 4 & save 30% on travel on the following dates on roundtrip Wanna Get Away? fares:
30% is a decent discount – and even more so since the promo code can be used on reservations of up to eight (8) people, so you could end up saving a lot. Although the dates are limited, if one portion of your itinerary is on an eligible date and the return is not, you still get the 30% discount on the flight(s) on the eligible date, so you are still saving some money.
To take a quick example, let’s say you were sweltering in the middle of the country this summer and wanted to take a trip from Kansas City to sunny San Diego right around the Labor Day holiday. Ordinarily a roundtrip on the non-stop service between the two would cost you $392, but with this promo, you save over a hundred dollars and the fare clocks in at $281.
Not On Points
As I mentioned, the terms state that points reservations are not included, and in fact, if you try to select points as your payment option when viewing fares, you get the following error message.
On the sale days, the sale price came out to $141 for each way, but here’s what happened when I clicked on points.
As you can see, even the cheaper $141 fare required 11,100 points (the return was more expensive on the non-sale day even than the base fare the sale was based on because it is Labor Day weekend). That only gives you a value of 1.27 cents per point – much worse. 30% worse, to be exact.
So if you’re thinking about buying tickets through this sale, definitely pay in cash and not points since the sale fares are definitely excluded from points redemptions and you’ll end up getting a lot less value for your Rapid Rewards points.
Here are the rest of the terms and conditions:
- This multi use promo code is required to be used in the Promo Code box on southwest.com or SWABIZ.com in order to receive 30 percent discount off roundtrip Wanna Get Away® fares during the valid travel dates listed below.
- Roundtrip travel required. Reservations can include up to eight people.
- Discount is valid on new reservations only and purchase must be made starting 7/2/2013 and prior to 11:59 pm for the respective time zone of the originating city on 7/4/2013 for travel 8/27, 9/1, 9/6, 9/10, 9/17, and 9/24/13.
- 30 percent discount code is valid for the Wanna Get Away Fares only and is applied before taxes and fees.
- 7-day or more advance reservation may be required.
- To obtain discount on existing reservations meeting all requirements of this discount offer, the reservation must be cancelled and a new reservation booked using the discount code (fare rules apply).
- Discount will apply only on the valid travel dates. If one direction of the trip is outside the valid dates and one is within the valid travel, only the portion of travel falling within sale dates will be discounted.
- Changes made to the itinerary after purchase will eliminate qualifications for this promotion. The discount is only valid with the provided Promotion Code and is not combinable with other Promotion Codes or fares available exclusively through the web tool DING!
- Discount is not valid on reservations made using Rapid Rewards Points.
- Discount is not valid on Group Travel product.
- Air Fares for Jackpot and Southwest Vacations package deals have been discounted by 30% for eligible markets and dates. Discount Code is not needed to receive 30% off the air fare portion of the package deal.
So while it’s a pretty limited promo for an anniversary sale, at least there are some savings to be had, and depending on your travel dates and the size of your reservation, you could end up saving a chunk of change. The Points Guy Assessment: The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.