Maximizing Miles and Points With Timeshares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Timeshares can often be a topic of scorn, humor or even horror – especially if aggressive sales people constantly hound you with sales calls.
However, they can not only open up a new world of affordable vacation options and earn you valuable points and miles at the same time.
Marriott Vacation Club
Along with their thousands of hotels around the world, Marriott has a timeshare sales program offering benefits when you purchase a Marriott Vacation Club resale timeshare listed for sale by its owner via a listing agreement with the company and its affiliates. Among the benefits of security and the help of a Vacation Ownership advisor to book trips, you can trade your time share weeks for Marriott Reward Points to transfer for them for frequent flyer miles with Marriott’s airline partners. You can also exchange your time for other vacation ownership resorts.
Marriott has 50 Vacation Clubs in Maui, Hilton Head, Aruba, Vail, Park City and Florida (Orlando, Marco Island, Singer Island and Fort Lauderdale), but the rewards points earned can be used in any of their 3,000 destinations around the world.
Starwood Vacation Network
The Starwood Vacation Network incorporates over 1,100 hotels and resorts in a hundred countries around the world through the Starwood Preferred Guest program. It includes locations at the nine Starwood brands – Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, A Loft, Element, W, Le Meridien, the Luxury Collection and St. Regis.
Owners of a villa resort time share can exchange a week in your Home Resort for a reservation in any of the 19 villa resorts in the collection without paying an additional fee (booking up to eight months to a week before your desired trip on a first come, first serve basis).
As an owner, you automatically get Gold Preferred Status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program, meaning that you can convert your week into Starpoints, which can be used for a host of travel options.
- As a SPG, you also get the following perks:
- Free night awards and award flights with no blackout dates
- 3 Starpoints for every eligible dollar spent
- Late 4 p.m. check-out, when available
- Welcome gift at check-in
- Dedicated customer service telephone line
- Enhanced or upgraded room, when available
The Friendship Rewards program allows owners to get even more points, earning $20,000 Starpoints or 400 Resort Credits when you refer someone who then becomes an owner.
Owners earn Staroptions, which are similar to Starpoints but different. Staroptions can be used to experience a different villa resort, change your villa size, change your season or enjoy a flexible length of stay. Whereas Starpoints are your more conventional rewards program, which you can redeem for free nights, flights on partner airlines or other special offers.
Elite status ownership offers even more privileges such as extended banking periods, Starpoints conversion fee waived, and the earning of more Starpoints.
Owners also get discounts from Starwood travel partners, including:
- Travelocity Partner Network
- Signature Cruises operated by CruisesOnly
- Luggage Forward
- Hawaiian Airlines
Hilton Grand Vacations
The Hilton Grand Vacations program
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.