Maximizing Miles and Points With Timeshares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Timeshares can often be a topic of scorn, humor or even horror – especially if aggressive sales people constantly hound you with sales calls.
However, they can not only open up a new world of affordable vacation options and earn you valuable points and miles at the same time.
Marriott Vacation Club
Along with their thousands of hotels around the world, Marriott has a timeshare sales program offering benefits when you purchase a Marriott Vacation Club resale timeshare listed for sale by its owner via a listing agreement with the company and its affiliates. Among the benefits of security and the help of a Vacation Ownership advisor to book trips, you can trade your time share weeks for Marriott Reward Points to transfer for them for frequent flyer miles with Marriott’s airline partners. You can also exchange your time for other vacation ownership resorts.
Marriott has 50 Vacation Clubs in Maui, Hilton Head, Aruba, Vail, Park City and Florida (Orlando, Marco Island, Singer Island and Fort Lauderdale), but the rewards points earned can be used in any of their 3,000 destinations around the world.
Starwood Vacation Network
The Starwood Vacation Network incorporates over 1,100 hotels and resorts in a hundred countries around the world through the Starwood Preferred Guest program. It includes locations at the nine Starwood brands – Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, A Loft, Element, W, Le Meridien, the Luxury Collection and St. Regis.
Owners of a villa resort time share can exchange a week in your Home Resort for a reservation in any of the 19 villa resorts in the collection without paying an additional fee (booking up to eight months to a week before your desired trip on a first come, first serve basis).
As an owner, you automatically get Gold Preferred Status in the Starwood Preferred Guest program, meaning that you can convert your week into Starpoints, which can be used for a host of travel options.
- As a SPG, you also get the following perks:
- Free night awards and award flights with no blackout dates
- 3 Starpoints for every eligible dollar spent
- Late 4 p.m. check-out, when available
- Welcome gift at check-in
- Dedicated customer service telephone line
- Enhanced or upgraded room, when available
The Friendship Rewards program allows owners to get even more points, earning $20,000 Starpoints or 400 Resort Credits when you refer someone who then becomes an owner.
Owners earn Staroptions, which are similar to Starpoints but different. Staroptions can be used to experience a different villa resort, change your villa size, change your season or enjoy a flexible length of stay. Whereas Starpoints are your more conventional rewards program, which you can redeem for free nights, flights on partner airlines or other special offers.
Elite status ownership offers even more privileges such as extended banking periods, Starpoints conversion fee waived, and the earning of more Starpoints.
Owners also get discounts from Starwood travel partners, including:
- Travelocity Partner Network
- Signature Cruises operated by CruisesOnly
- Luggage Forward
- Hawaiian Airlines
Hilton Grand Vacations
The Hilton Grand Vacations program
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees