BarclayCard Launches Online Travel Community, Plans to Reward Content Contributors With Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Barclaycard recently announced that members of their travel community will be able to earn points for contributing their stories and deals with other users. Not only that, you can even earn points (redeemable for travel) even if you aren’t a Barclaycard cardholder. Details haven’t been released yet, but I recently had the opportunity to speak with Barclaycard reps about this program and they’re in the final stages of development and the points earning/redeeming ratios should be released within the next two months.
This follows on the heels of last year’s launch of Barclaycard’s Arrival credit card in the US market last year, which allow cardholders to redeem their points at a fixed rate of 1 cent apiece for travel expenses such as airline tickets, hotel nights and car rentals and receive a 10% mileage refund on redemptions.
Even if you don’t have an Arrival card, though, you’ll still be able to earn and redeem miles by participating in the Barclaycard Travel Community, where travelers can interact with one another by posting stories, photos and advice. So even if you don’t have the Arrival card, you can join the community and earn miles for completing your travel profile, posting travel stories, and receiving positive reviews from other community members and then also redeem the miles you earn through Barclaycard’s online travel portal. I have been told that the points earned will be much more valuable if you are a cardholder, which makes sense – they clearly want to encourage people to get the product.
Wait For A Sign-Up Bonus?
I initially thought that it would make sense to wait until they run a sign-up bonus, but my Barclaycard contacts have assured me that any existing members will get any sign-up bonuses (if there are any) as well as retroactive points for past content.
Signing up only takes a minute, but don’t expect a whole lot of engagement just yet. So far there have only been a handful of threads- ranging from someone asking about Virgin America First Class and another asking Barclaycard whether they plan to roll out Chip + Signature/PIN cards. I imagine the site will become much more popular once it is advertised and the point earning/redeeming is published.
Overall, I think it’s a great concept and just goes to show how important social networking and media has become, even to credit card companies. In the meantime, I hope this encourages other issuers to offer more ways to earn and redeem points!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.