This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Starwood allows SPG members to redeem their Starpoints for concerts, sporting events, and once in a lifetime experiences through SPG Moments. SPG has launched some new SPG Moment packages at the US Open tennis championship from August 26 – September 9 in New York. The US Open has become a favorite annual program for SPG – last year’s men’s finals became the most popular SPG Moment as the highest bidding among any auction for 2012.
This year they have 65 US Open SPG Moments which are available here. SPG members have the chance to bid on experiences including a private tennis clinic with Andy Roddick, courtside seats, viewing from the SPG luxury suite at center court of Arthur Ashe, breakfast in the players area, stadium tours and more.
SPG is offering a number of ways for members to get firsthand access to truly memorable SPG Moments at the US Open:
- Courtside seats to matches throughout the US Open in the heart of the action at Arthur Ashe Stadium
- Access to watch a match from the SPG Luxury Suite, including food and beverages, right at center court
- Breakfast for two in the exclusive Player’s Dining Room at Arthur Ashe Stadium
- Opportunity to bring young tennis fans to Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day on Saturday, August 25th at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center for a day-long family event with interactive games for kids of all ages
- Behind-the-scenes stadium tours including access to the US Open Media Center
One of the packages is a Tennis Clinic with Andy Roddick which has a starting bid of 35,000 Starpoints. Details of this package include:
- Access for one to participate in a one-hour tennis clinic with other SPG members and taught by Andy Roddick at the US Open Grounds in Queens, NY, on Saturday, September 7, 2013
- Access for one to be a spectator during the clinic
- Opportunity for two to enjoy a photo and autograph session with Andy Roddick following the clinic
- Two tickets to the SPG Luxury Suite at the Arthur Ashe Stadium for Men’s Semifinals play at the 2013 US Open on the same day
- Food and beverages for two while enjoying the SPG Luxury Suite
Even if you aren’t interested in redeeming for a package, you are still invited to enter to win a trip to NYC, including two nights in the Presidential Suite at the Westin New York Grand Central and a pair of courtside tickets to the US Open Men’s Singles Final. Members in the tri-state will also have the opportunity to win courtside seats throughout the tournament by using #BringMeSPG on Twitter.
Additionally, SPG members with tickets to the US Open who visit the SPG booth at the South Plaza and show their SPG card will receive a surprise gift. Westin Hotels remains an official sponsor of the US Open in 2013 and will also be giving away free Heavenly Beds at several sessions throughout the tournament to lucky fans. Tennis fans arriving by subway can enjoy a pedicab ride down the boardwalk entrance to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center courtesy of SPG.
If you find yourself short on SPG points consider the Starwood Amex Personal or Business card both of which offer 25,000 bonus SPG points after spending $5,000 in the first six months. Starwood Preferred Guest is also a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, but offers a poor 3:1 transfer ratio, so I don’t recommend only as a last option.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards