Reminder: Buy Club Carlson Points For 0.35 Cents With Daily Getaways – 1PM ET Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s Week 2 of Amex’s Daily Getaways special vacation package sales, and today, Wednesday, June 19, Daily Getaways will be selling packages of Club Carlson points at a significant discount of up to 50%.
Here are the packages.
100,000 Club Carlson Gold Points – Redeem for a 2-Night Stay, $385 ($700 value), 71 Available, Max per purchase: 2
Dates of Travel: Anytime
50,000 Club Carlson Gold Points – Redeem for a 1-Night Stay, $194 ($350 value), 142 Available, Max per purchase: 2
Dates of Travel: Anytime
No more than 2 sets of points purchased through this offer are allowed per loyalty number. A maximum of 4 sets of points is allowed per loyalty number across both Club Carlson offers.
So with this promo, you are essentially buying Club Carlson points for 0.385 cents each instead of the 0.7 cents they usually cost – and if you pay with an American Express card, you get a further 10% discount, bringing your per-cent cost to 0.3465 cents per point. That means you’re getting a discount of over 50%.
Packages go live at 1PM ET and the numbers are pretty limited – just 71 of the 100,000-point ones and 142 of the 50,000 point ones, so you have to be quick on the draw.
To give you a concrete example, if you purchased 50,000 points – the point requirement for an award night at a top-tier Category 7 property – at the rate of 0.3465 cents each, you’d be paying $173.25 and would have enough points for one award night outright.
Just looking around at top-tier Carlson hotels in Europe this summer – let’s say you had some time off over the July 4 holiday and went wanted to hit Paris for a night around July 3-5. You could use those 50,000 points to stay at the Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan boutique property just a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower.
However, if you have one of the Club Carlson co-branded credit cards you get the last night of any award reservation of 2 nights or more for free. So if you do have one of those cards, your 50,000 points would get you two free nights. So the $173.25 you paid for those points would get you $1,500 in value in terms of room rates. You’d be saving over $1,300!
Granted, even though this hotel is quite a nice little hidden gem in a beautiful neighborhood just steps from the Eiffel Tower, these prices seem a bit inflated, but that’s what they’re going for and what you would have to pay if you were just using cash.
It is not always easy to get such high values from Club Carlson redemptions and you could argue that some of them aren’t worth it since I personally don’t put their top-tier hotels in the same category as those of other chains like Hyatt or Starwood, but the bottom line is, you could still be saving a lot of money on some great redemptions, especially if you have a little flexibility and know where to look.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.