Can You Turn Amex Points Into American Miles? Can You Use Amex To Book Etihad Awards?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some of the offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
This reader question comes from TPG reader Steven, who asks:
“Can you turn Amex points into American Airline miles? I want to use them to fly Etihad from the US to the Middle East.”
The answer to Steven’s first question about converting Amex points into American miles is: yes, but it’s at a terrible conversion rate. That’s because first you have to transfer your Amex points into Starwood points at a dismal 3:1 ratio, and then you can transfer Starwood points to American Airlines miles at a 1:1 ratio and you get a 5,000-mile bonus for transfers of 20,000 miles – so at least there’s a little 25% bump there. Still, let’s say you transferred 60,000 Amex points to get 20,000 Starpoints, which you then transferred to American miles for a grand total of 25,000 miles – that’s a pretty terrible conversion rate! You’re only getting about a 42% return on your points! No thank you.
So let’s say you wanted to fly Etihad roundtrip from JFK to Abu Dhabi. That’s 90,000 miles in economy or 135,000 miles in business class. That would require you to transfer 330,000 Amex points (!) for business. They’re a great airline and all, but you can get the same seat for a lot less points.
However, Etihad is a partner of All Nippon Airlines (ANA), which is also an Amex transfer partner and transfers take about 2 days. ANA awards are distance based and since JFK- Abu Dhabi is 13,374 miles roundtrip, it would be 60,000/90,000/140,000 for economy/business/first class roundtrip and between $500-$1,200 in taxes/fees. Not cheap, but the amount of points needed is less than Alitalia in most cases and you can redeem for First Class.
You can also use Alitalia, which is a 1:1 transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards, and is also an airline partner of Etihad. Per Alitalia’s Etihad award chart, to book a roundtrip economy class ticket from the US to the Middle East, you only need 120,000 Alitalia MilleMiglia miles, or 180,000 in business, so much more than ANA.
So even though 180,000 points is a lot and might not be the best redemption value out there, it’s still a whole lot better than spending 330,000 points – it’s almost half!
If you’re really looking to score some American miles, you might want to open either the personal or business version (or both!) of the Starwood Amex, which is currently offering 25,000 points when you spend $5,000 in 6 months (though that sometimes goes up to 30,000 points), so that when you go to transfer points, you’re at least getting a 1:1 ratio, and potentially a 25% bonus on those 20,000-point transfers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees