Travel Tuesday: Top 13 Car Rental Bonuses For Summer
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Memorial Day is coming up this weekend, and that means the summer driving season is upon us. If you’re one of the millions of Americans thinking of taking to the open road, chances are you might spare the wear and tear on your own vehicle in favor of renting one – especially since there are a ton of great discounts and bonuses out there right now.
For tips on maximizing your points on gas purchases this summer, check out this post which has all the top credit cards as well as other ideas on making the most of your petrol potential.
You can also check out this post for maximizing your points and miles on car rentals including while credit cards will earn you the most miles and points on car rentals; and this post has tons of great tips on saving money on car rentals; this post on car rental insurance to see if your credit car offers the coverage you need; and this post on maximizing car rental programs for free rental days. Also be sure to check shopping portals to see which car rental agencies are offering even more bonus miles and points for clicking through them.
Not only that, but you can also put your points to use saving on car rentals by carrying the right credit cards. The Barclaycard Arrival (annual fee) comes with 40,000 miles as a sign-up bonus right now and earns 2X miles per $1 on all purchases, which you can then redeem for 1 cent apiece and get a 10% mileage refund on travel redemptions including car rentals. The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card also earns 2 miles per dollar and you can redeem them for car rentals at 1 cent apiece – essentially getting 2% back.
If your Amex card earns Membership Rewards points – you can redeem them at 1 cent apiece for car rental certificates with partners including Avis, Enterprise and National in increments of 5,000, 7,500, 10,000 and 20,000 points.
If you have one of Chase’s premium travel cards including the Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards, you can also redeem Ultimate Rewards points for car rentals at a rate of 1.25 cents apiece.
In the meantime, here are the top 13 car rental bonuses available at the moment. Happy trails!
1. Earn up to 6X American Airlines AAdvantage miles with Hertz: Now through August 31, 2013, AAdvantage members can save up to 35% and earn up to 6x AAdvantage bonus miles on their next Hertz car rental. Simply rent a Hertz vehicle for one to four days and earn 4x bonus miles, or rent any vehicle for 5 or more days and earn 6x bonus miles. This is valid at participating airport locations in the U.S, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, and United Kingdom. Be sure to mention Discount (CPD) 217692 and Promotional Code (PC) 179255.
2. 7,500 Club Carlson Points and 25% off of Avis Rentals: Now through December 31, 2013, Avis is offering a total bonus of 7,500 Club Carlson Gold points and a 25% discount to members on qualifying car rentals of 3 or more days at participating locations in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Make your reservation here and use coupon MUHA018 and present your Club Carlson number at the time of reservation or at the rental counter to earn your bonus points. This offer is in addition to your everyday savings of up to 25% when you use AWD G639300.
3. Earn Triple United Miles with Hertz: Now through May 31, 2013, MileagePlus members can earn triple miles for rentals in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Australia, and New Zealand. MileagePlus members will earn 225 United miles per day for their rental and Premier members will earn 50 additional miles per day. In addition, MileagePlus can earn 150 bonus award miles when they book on united.com. Be sure to provide the United discount code CDP 62455 and PC 165896 when making the reservation. Allow 6-8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for bonus miles to post to your account.
4. 1,000 Hyatt Points for Avis Rentals: Earn 1,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points using coupon code MUHA067 on qualifying rentals of at least 2 days now through December 31, 2013. Reservations must be made at participating Avis locations in the U.S, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, Asia and the Middle East, Europe, and Africa. You must also provide your Hyatt Gold Passport number at the time of reservation or rental. This offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount. Use AWD K817700 or try other codes like corporate, AAA, and Costco to try to find better rates.
5. Earn Bonus Delta SkyMiles with Hertz: Delta and Hertz have teamed up to offer SkyMiles member an opportunity to earn bonus SkyMiles when renting with Hertz this summer. Here’s how it works: You can earn 500 bonus miles for rentals of 1 to 2 days; 900 bonus miles for rentals of 3 to 4 days, or 2,000 bonus miles for rentals of 5 or more days. This is in addition to the standard 100 miles normally earned per day, or 200 miles if you’re a Medallion member. To earn the bonus miles, use CDP 165385. Delta customers can also save up to 40% off Hertz rentals in the US, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Canada by using PC 123841 when making their reservation. You can also earn up to 15% off rentals in Europe with PC 170424, and at other worldwide locations with PC 123841. This offer is valid for reservations made by June 30, 2013 and picked up by August 31, 2013.
6. Bonus US Airways Miles For Car Rentals: Now through July 31, 2013, US Airways is offering a 50% bonus on miles for every hotel stay and car rental you credit to your Dividend Miles account. Just register here and then make sure your account number is on your reservation. You must be subscribed to the US Airways e-Statement and Earn More Miles emails in order to register – but if you’re not already registered, you’ll automatically be enrolled by registering with your email address. So let’s say you rented a car with Avis. For Dividend Miles members right now, it’s offering a 25% discount with AWD code K024300 and 750 bonus miles on rentals of 3 days or more at participating airport locations in the US, Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean, Mexico, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Africa with coupon code MUAA046. That’s in addition to the 2 miles per $1 you spend on qualifying consumer rentals at airport locations worldwide. If you rented a car for 3 days for $100, you’d earn 200 Dividend miles on your spending, plus the 750 normal bonus miles, plus an additional 375 miles for a total of 1,325 Dividend miles.
7. Triple Virgin America Elevate Points and Discounts with Avis and Budget: Now through December 31, 2013, Elevate members can earn 3 points per $1 spent on qualifying rentals of two days or more at Avis airport locations in the US using the coupon code MUAA034 and providing their Elevate number when making the reservation as well as savings up of to 35% with the AWD G600004. If Budget is your chain, you can earn triple points on qualifying rentals of 2 days or more at participating Budget airport locations in the US from now through December 31, 2013 as well using Coupon Code MUAz008, plus save 30% on every Budget rental with BCD U106004. More details here.
8. Quadruple Amtrak points when renting from Hertz: Hertz and Amtrak have teamed up to offer customers the opportunity to earn quadruple Amtrak points as well as up to 25% off their next car rental. Don’t forget to include your Amtrak Guest Rewards number in the reservation process and you must provide discount CDP 1229959 and PC 169864. Reservations must be made for rentals picked up by June 30, 2013. Allow 4 – 6 weeks for points to be posted to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account.
9. Earn Bonus Rapid Rewards Points from Alamo: Now through June 15, 2013, Rapid Reward members can earn up to 2,400 Rapid Rewards Points (instead of the standard 600 points) and save up to 30% on qualifying Alamo rentals. This offer is valid at participating Alamo locations in the United States. Here’s how it works: rent one day, earn 600 points; rent for two to three days, earn 1,200 points; rent for four to six days, earn 1,800 points; or rent for seven days or longer and earn 2,400 points. You can either book on the Southwest Car Rental site or head over to the Alamo site and then enter Corporate ID 7016128 when making the reservation. Allow six to eight weeks for Rapid Rewards Points to post to your account.
10. JetBlue Promos: JetBlue is currently offering promos through several of its partners. TrueBlue members can earn up to 5X points and save up to 35% off rentals of 1 day or more at participating locations in the US, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean until September 30, 2013 with Hertz. Normally you earn 50 points for one-day rentals, 150 points for 2-4 days and 300 points for 5+ days. With this promo, however, you earn 150, 450 and 1,500 miles respectively. Use CDP 1790143 and PC 179266. Avis and Budget are also offering promos. With Avis, you can save up to 35% and earn double points (2X per $1) through June 30 using coupon code MUAA072 and AWD H798506. With Budget you can earn triple points (3X per $1) and up to 30% off using coupon code MUAZ057 and BCD R344904.
11. Bonus Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Miles with Avis: Now through December 31, 2013, Alaska Airlines and Avis have teamed up to offer customers up to triple bonus Mileage Plan miles on Avis rentals. Rentals of 2-3 days will earn double miles, while 4+ day rentals will earn triple miles. This offer is available on qualifying rentals at participating airport locations in the U.S. and Canada. To get the extra miles, either use coupon MUAA117 for 2-3 day rentals, or MUAA118 on 4+ day rentals. Plus, Avis also offers a 35% discount to Alaska Airlines customers when they book using AWD K197825. Bonus miles are in addition to the base miles you receive each time you rent with Avis.
12: Bonus US Airways Miles and Discounts With Car Partners: National is offering US Airways Dividend members 25% off and triple points (6 per $1) on North American rentals now through December 31, 2013, using the ID 5028180. It is also offering 4X miles and up to 35% off on Hertz rentals at participating locations in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico through September 30, 2013. Dividend Miles members earn 50 base miles per day for rentals of 1-4 days and 500 base miles for rentals of 5 days or more. Use CDP 157348 and PC 180143. Now through December 31, 2013, Dividend members can earn 750 bonus miles on qualifying rentals of 3 days or more at participating Avis airport locations in the US, Canada, Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East using the coupon MUA046. They can also save up to 25% using AWD K024300. Plus now through December 31, you can earn triple miles (150 per day) when renting a compact or larger vehicle for 2+ days using the promo code US10 from Dollar as well as from Thrifty.
13. Triple Hawaiian Miles With Dollar: Now through December 31, 2013, earn triple Hawaiian Miles on Dollar rentals of compact cars or larger for 2 days or longer using the promo code HA5.