This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Platinum Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
TPG follower Andy tweeted a question about Starwood Gold status:
“@thepointsguy which Amex plat gives SPG gold status? Biz, Personal or Benz?”
Although it isn’t marketed well, all three American Express Platinum Cards: Personal, Mercedes-Benz Personal and Business give instant Gold status with Starwood Hotels (as well as the invite-only Centurion card). Simply call the number on the back of your card and ask them to upgrade your Starwood account- they will call Starwood directly and within minutes your account should show Gold.
You normally need to stay 10 times or 25 nights (or spend $30,000 on a Starwood Amex Personal or Business card) to achieve Gold status and with it you get:
- Three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent (vs. the base rate of 2 points per dollar)
- Amenity: Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access and a complimentary beverage
- 4 p.m. late checkout
- An enhanced room at check-in, when available (though suites aren’t included, I got a couple nice suite upgrades as a Gold years ago)
- Special elite customer service line
Starwood also recently launched Lifetime Gold Status, which you get when you achieve 250 nights total and any 5 years of elite SPG status. The comped Amex Gold status does count towards status. Same goes for hitting the $30,000 calendar year spend on the co-branded Amex cards.
Starwood also runs promotions from time to time for Gold and Platinum members, so there’s no reason to not take advantage of this benefit if you have an eligible card.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees