This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Platinum Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
TPG follower Andy tweeted a question about Starwood Gold status:
“@thepointsguy which Amex plat gives SPG gold status? Biz, Personal or Benz?”
Although it isn’t marketed well, all three American Express Platinum Cards: Personal, Mercedes-Benz Personal and Business give instant Gold status with Starwood Hotels (as well as the invite-only Centurion card). Simply call the number on the back of your card and ask them to upgrade your Starwood account- they will call Starwood directly and within minutes your account should show Gold.
You normally need to stay 10 times or 25 nights (or spend $30,000 on a Starwood Amex Personal or Business card) to achieve Gold status and with it you get:
- Three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent (vs. the base rate of 2 points per dollar)
- Amenity: Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access and a complimentary beverage
- 4 p.m. late checkout
- An enhanced room at check-in, when available (though suites aren’t included, I got a couple nice suite upgrades as a Gold years ago)
- Special elite customer service line
Starwood also recently launched Lifetime Gold Status, which you get when you achieve 250 nights total and any 5 years of elite SPG status. The comped Amex Gold status does count towards status. Same goes for hitting the $30,000 calendar year spend on the co-branded Amex cards.
Starwood also runs promotions from time to time for Gold and Platinum members, so there’s no reason to not take advantage of this benefit if you have an eligible card.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that