This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Platinum Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
TPG follower Andy tweeted a question about Starwood Gold status:
“@thepointsguy which Amex plat gives SPG gold status? Biz, Personal or Benz?”
Although it isn’t marketed well, all three American Express Platinum Cards: Personal, Mercedes-Benz Personal and Business give instant Gold status with Starwood Hotels (as well as the invite-only Centurion card). Simply call the number on the back of your card and ask them to upgrade your Starwood account- they will call Starwood directly and within minutes your account should show Gold.
You normally need to stay 10 times or 25 nights (or spend $30,000 on a Starwood Amex Personal or Business card) to achieve Gold status and with it you get:
- Three Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent (vs. the base rate of 2 points per dollar)
- Amenity: Choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary in-room Internet access and a complimentary beverage
- 4 p.m. late checkout
- An enhanced room at check-in, when available (though suites aren’t included, I got a couple nice suite upgrades as a Gold years ago)
- Special elite customer service line
Starwood also recently launched Lifetime Gold Status, which you get when you achieve 250 nights total and any 5 years of elite SPG status. The comped Amex Gold status does count towards status. Same goes for hitting the $30,000 calendar year spend on the co-branded Amex cards.
Starwood also runs promotions from time to time for Gold and Platinum members, so there’s no reason to not take advantage of this benefit if you have an eligible card.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees