Reminder: British Airways Visa One of Best Current Credit Card Offers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, American Express® Gold Card
In the past couple of days, I’ve been talking about some great credit card bonuses including 50,000 Membership Rewards points for the American Express® Gold Card and 25,000 points for the Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN Savings, but the current British Airways Visa offer is one of the most lucrative credit cards on the market at the moment if you know how to leverage it to it’s full potential. This particular offer has lasted longer than previous similar offers, and based on professional opinion and past experience, I have a hunch that it may be going away very soon. Based on historical patterns, when the current bonus ends, the bonus offer is likely to drop to 50,000 Avios total (vs. the current potential of up up to 100,000 Avios after $20,000 in spend) after about $2,000 spending in three months – or somewhere in that neighborhood.
By contrast, the offer details were (again, note this offer is no longer available, the current offer is 50,000 Avios for spending $2,000 within 3 months):
-You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $1,000 within the first 3 months
–25,000 bonus Avios after you make $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening
-Plus an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you make a total of $20,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening
– 1.25 miles for every dollar spent on the card
– 2.5 miles per dollar spent on British Airways travel
– No foreign transaction fees
–New: Smart Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip-based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.
– Companion certificate after $30,000 in spend. This companion ticket allows a second miles redemption for free. So if you use 100,000 miles for a business class ticket from Los Angeles to London, the second business class ticket costs 0 miles (you only pay taxes). A huge value if used properly.
– $95 annual fee
Last time this offer came around, I created a whole series on Maximizing the British Airways Visa and the various features of the card as well as British Airways’ Avios frequent flyer program. Here are the posts:
–Master FAQ Post on British Airways 100,000 Mile Offer
–Spotlight on Taxes and Fees
–Travel Together Companion Ticket
–Using Avios to Upgrade Paid Tickets
–The Avios and Cash Option
–Save Money on Fuel Surcharges by Transferring British Airways Avios to Iberia
–Using Avios For Non-Flight Redemptions
–Using Avios to Book Domestic First Class FlightsDirect Flights, London Stopovers and UK DestinationsHow to Redeem British Airways Avios Without Huge Fees
We seem to have reached a really great moment in the credit card market and I hope many of you are able to take advantage of it. If I were doing a churn today, the British Airways Visa would be part of my strategy, while I’d also apply for the following cards:
–Premier Rewards Gold card from American Express for 50,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.
-The Business Platinum card from American Express OPEN Savings for 25,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $5,000 in 3 months
-The Ink Bold from Chase for 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points for spending $5,000 in the first 3 months
Applying for multiple cards from the same issuer on the same day is completely possible – and potentially a great strategy with offers such as those on these Amex cards – though with American Express at least, they’ll each count as separate credit pulls, so just be sure your credit score is in good shape before attempting it. And if you’ve been thinking about the British Airways Visa but have been too shy to commit, I’d say now is the time while this offer is still out there.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees