Business Class from Many Cities to Rio de Janeiro for ~$2,000 Total Roundtrip on US and American!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US Airways just loaded some competitive roundtrip business class fares to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:
$2,005 total roundtrip from JFK (via Charlotte) = 10,471 base miles, plus class of service bonus depending on where you bank your miles
$2,005 total roundtrip from Miami (via Charlotte) = 10,688 base miles, plus class of service bonus depending on where you bank your miles
$2,191 total roundtrip from LAX (via Charlotte) = 13,638 base miles, plus class of service bonus depending on where you bank your miles
These book into A class for the domestic legs and Z class for the international portion. Both A and Z earn 150% accrual in US Airways Dividend Miles, meaning your total elite and redeemable miles would both be 15,707 for JFK-CLT-GIG and 20,457 for LAX-CLT-GIG. Note: US Airways and American are merging, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be able to combine elite miles this year, so I wouldn’t recommend buying and flying a US Airways flight if you need that to count towards your 2014 American elite status.
When searching other cities, it looks like American has matched these fares in US hubs, like Philadelphia- PHL-MIA-GIG roudntrip in business for $2,007 roundtrip!
These fares are bookable on usairways.com, but I used the ITA Matrix to search by the month to pull up all available dates, of which there are many. There also doesn’t seem to be a minimum stay, so quick trips are a possibility. Fares are usually upwards of $3,500-$5,000, so this is nearly 50% off and the fare is good almost all year long- even in December over Christmas and New Year’s! I spent New Year’s in Rio three years ago and it was incredible- such a party all across the city and the famed party on Copacabana beach where you wear all white and run into the ocean at midnight for good luck.
While US Airways isn’t known for top notch premium service, Charlotte- Rio de Janeiro is serviced by their Airbus A330 aircraft, which is fitted with their premium lie-flat sleeper seats and they generally get great reviews from travelers. I haven’t flown them on US Airways, but Cathay Pacific has the same seats in business class, which I really like.
Rio is a lot more expensive than you might realize, plus you need to get a $160 visa before leaving- I wrote about my process here. Since then, TPG reader Steve at Allied Passport handles all of my visas and their expediency and time saved is well worth their fees in my opinion.
I redeemed points to stay at the Intercontinental in Sao Conrado, which was an okay hotel, but it is about 15-20 minutes out of the action. Next time I go to Rio, I’d like to stay at the JW Marriott or splurge and stay at the top notch Fasano. Though realistically, I’ll probably just rent an apartment, since that can be the most economical option.
I can’t imagine these fares will last long, so book now if you’re interested- US Airways has a 24 hour risk free cancellation in case you decide you can’t swing it. This is a big airfare purchase, so make sure you maximize it and get the most points possible- check out this point for my tips on maximizing airfare purchases.
Hat tip TPG reader Scott / Passageiro de Primeira (Portuguese)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.