Up To $500 Off British Airways Flights With Rue La La This Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card
Rue La La is one of my favorite discount online luxury retailers, and they also post some great travel deals from time to time. They actually used to link to several shopping portals, earning you even more points and miles on purchases, but that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.
However, now through December 23, Rue La La has teamed up with British Airways and Visit Britain to offer a sale of up to $500 off British Airways tickets from the US to Britain in First, Club World (business) and World Traveller Plus (premium economy) for travel between now and May 31, 2013. To see for yourself you need to be invited for site access, which you can do so instantly (and for free) using my link.
You get $150 off premium economy, $350 off business and $500 off first, so that could take some of the sting out of BA’s massive fuel surcharges and fees.
Per the T&C, some US gateways are excluded and only Rue La La members are eligible. Flights must be operated by British Airways, and the discount dows not apply to open jaw tickets. You must book your ticket through the Rue La La link, not via a call center or travel agent, and the discount is for new bookings only and not combinable with any other discount or deal – so unfortunately you can’t combine it with the 10% discount on BA.com flights you get if you have the British Airways Visa.
I checked out fares, and they’re decent, but not hugely impressive, and in some cases American Airlines is actually matching the discounted fares and the lowest fares are lower than the fares included in the discount (you can tell because it will say “lowest” or “discounted” below the fare.
One angle you could work would be to buy a premium economy ticket – I found them to be running at right around $1,400 roundtrip in January from Los Angeles to London, which breaks down to a $621 fare plus $780 in taxes – and then upgrade it using Avios.
The ticket I found was booked into “T” class, which is one of the upgradable booking classes.
Then remember, you only need half the number of Avios of an economy award ticket to book the upgrade each way, so on that LA-London route, you’d only need 12,500 Avios each way and some extra fees for the upgraded cabin which usually run around $300.
So essentially, you’d be getting a business class ticket for around $1,700 and 25,000 Avios – not bad considering business class tickets were going for around $5,000, so you’d be getting 13.2 cents per Avios and your airfare would basically just be a little bit more than you’d be paying in taxes and fees on a business class ticket you bought (which would be around $1,100 anyway).
Remember, the deal is offered only through the Rue La La link, so sign up for free here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees