Up To $500 Off British Airways Flights With Rue La La This Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card
Rue La La is one of my favorite discount online luxury retailers, and they also post some great travel deals from time to time. They actually used to link to several shopping portals, earning you even more points and miles on purchases, but that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.
However, now through December 23, Rue La La has teamed up with British Airways and Visit Britain to offer a sale of up to $500 off British Airways tickets from the US to Britain in First, Club World (business) and World Traveller Plus (premium economy) for travel between now and May 31, 2013. To see for yourself you need to be invited for site access, which you can do so instantly (and for free) using my link.
You get $150 off premium economy, $350 off business and $500 off first, so that could take some of the sting out of BA’s massive fuel surcharges and fees.
Per the T&C, some US gateways are excluded and only Rue La La members are eligible. Flights must be operated by British Airways, and the discount dows not apply to open jaw tickets. You must book your ticket through the Rue La La link, not via a call center or travel agent, and the discount is for new bookings only and not combinable with any other discount or deal – so unfortunately you can’t combine it with the 10% discount on BA.com flights you get if you have the British Airways Visa.
I checked out fares, and they’re decent, but not hugely impressive, and in some cases American Airlines is actually matching the discounted fares and the lowest fares are lower than the fares included in the discount (you can tell because it will say “lowest” or “discounted” below the fare.
One angle you could work would be to buy a premium economy ticket – I found them to be running at right around $1,400 roundtrip in January from Los Angeles to London, which breaks down to a $621 fare plus $780 in taxes – and then upgrade it using Avios.
The ticket I found was booked into “T” class, which is one of the upgradable booking classes.
Then remember, you only need half the number of Avios of an economy award ticket to book the upgrade each way, so on that LA-London route, you’d only need 12,500 Avios each way and some extra fees for the upgraded cabin which usually run around $300.
So essentially, you’d be getting a business class ticket for around $1,700 and 25,000 Avios – not bad considering business class tickets were going for around $5,000, so you’d be getting 13.2 cents per Avios and your airfare would basically just be a little bit more than you’d be paying in taxes and fees on a business class ticket you bought (which would be around $1,100 anyway).
Remember, the deal is offered only through the Rue La La link, so sign up for free here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.