Maximizing The Ink Plus Sign-Up Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Ink Business Cash Credit Card
These days big credit card sign-up points bonuses seem to be sticking around, but scoring 50,000, 75,000 and even 100,000 points can often mean having to meet large minimum spending requirements. The good news is that some of the most lucrative cards out there are giving new cardholders more of a fighting chance by lowering the intro APR on purchases and balance transfers to 0%.
Case in point: the Chase Ink Plus. This card is one of the best products and sign-up bonuses on the market right now, offering new cardholders with 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after $5,000 spent within 3 months. Those points can then be transferred for high-value redemptions with travel partners including United, British Airways, Southwest, Korean Air, Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Priority Club and Amtrak. I roughly value those points at 2 cents a piece, so about $1,000 (100,000 points transferred to United is a roundtrip business class ticket to Europe, which I’d gladly pay $2,000 for).
Chase is pretty good about posting points quickly – you can meet the minimum spend immediately and have the points within a month depending on when your statement closes. So if you need the points quickly, that’s good news, but only if you can meet the minimum spending requirement, which might be a bit high for some people.
Making the Ink Plus even more competitive, though, is the intro offer of 0% APR on both purchases and balance transfers for 6 billing cycles, meaning that if you can spend up to the $5,000 minimum, you have a little breathing room before paying it off. It’s even more of a bargain considering the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
Or, if you’re trying to meet the minimum spending requirement on another card, you can make the charges on it and then transfer the balance to the Ink Plus. However, just note that there is still a balance transfer fee of $5 or 3%, whichever is greater, so if you were transferring a $1,000 balance, you would be paying $30 in fees. That would likely negate the value of the points you earned from the initial card, but luckily there is a better option if you are currently running high balances and need some reprieve on internet. The Chase Ink Cash card, which doesn’t earn you points, has an introductory offer of 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 6 months (though there is a $5 or 3% fee whichever is higher on balance transfers). Note: Chase won’t let you transfer balances from other Chase cards, so it must be a balance from another issuer.
Still, with a bit of creativity and flexibility, you can really leverage both the Ink cards to give you a little breathing room when trying to complete minimum spends or simply when running large amounts of monthly bills and having some flexibility in paying them off without huge fees.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees