40,000 Point Citi Thank You Preferred Bonus Ends Tomorrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
For those of you who might have been interested in getting the Citi ThankYou Preferred card after my post on Monday ranking the top Citi travel credit cards, you have until the end of the day tomorrow, Friday, December 14, 2012, to apply before the current offer of 40,000 bonus points goes away.
Here are the details of the current offer:
- Bonus: 40,000 Citi ThankYou points: 20,000 points after you spend $3,000 in purchases in the first 6 months and an additional 20,000 points when you spend $3,000 within the next 6 months – redeemable for $400 in gift cards.
- 1 point on every dollar you spend
- Anniversary bonus ranging from 1-3% of all the points you earned during the year.
- Redemption Options: Redeem points for travel and gift cards at 1 cent each, or 1.33 cents each towards airfare if you have the Citi Premier card (they cannot be transferred to any airline or hotel loyalty programs); sliding anniversary points bonus ranging from 1-3%.
- No annual fee.
Those 40,000 ThankYou points can be redeemed for $400 in travel and gift cards, but remember, if you also have the Citi Premier card, you can actually redeem them for travel at a rate of 1.33 cents – so you’re getting $532 in value. If you don’t have either card, you can apply for both in the same day and get the 25,000 bonus points on the ThankYou Premier at the same time (though if you can wait, the bonus on the Premier has gone up to 50,000 points in the past and you might want to hold off until it’s up in that range again).
While 40,000 points isn’t a world-changing bonus, it is still one of the highest offers we’ve seen on this card, whose bonus is usually around the neighborhood of 25,000 points. Plus remember, when you book travel through Citi ThankYou, it’s just like paying for airline tickets with cash, so you still earn airline miles and elite status on the flights you book. So if you’ve been thinking about this card, might as well get it while the bonus is still up at 40,000 points to pocket between $400-$532 in value and use those points towards your 2013 elite qualification.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.