Buy Delta Elite Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) Until December 31
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Now through December 31, 2012, Delta is selling Medallion Qualifying Miles. You may buy up to 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) that will post to your 2012 MQM balance and apply toward 2013 Medallion status (2012 qualification) and should post to your SkyMiles account within 24 hours.
5,000 MQMs for $595
7,500 MQMs for $795
10,000 MQMs for $995
- MQMs purchased through this Buy MQMs offer are non-refundable.
- MQMs purchased will be deposited to the member’s 2012 MQM balance – so no getting ahead on 2013.
- If applicable, Million Miler status and Medallion status will be updated within 24 hours of MQM purchase.
- The MQMs are not redeemable and only count towards Medallion status and Million Miler status.
- All transactions are processed in U.S. Dollars.
- All the terms and conditions of the SkyMiles program apply.
It looks like Delta raised each of the rates by $100 compared to last year’s prices. Personally, I won’t be buying any MQMs as there are cheaper ways to get them than buying them outright since the lowest rate with this sale is 9.95 cents per MQM – not a great value at all.
For instance, a much cheaper way to get MQMs is to get the Delta Reserve card which gives 10,000 MQMs with your first purchase, 15,000 MQMs after $30,000 in spend, and another 15,000 MQMs after $60,000 in spend. The annual fee is $450, already beating the sale price here, plus the card confers a bunch of benefits on cardholders like SkyClub access, priority boarding, free checked bags, enhanced upgrade priority and a free domestic first class companion ticket. Plus, if you ever decide that the card isn’t right for you, you can downgrade to another Amex card and get the annual fee prorated.
As always, be sure to do the math. If you think your elite status will offset the cost of purchasing these MQMs and you’re in a desperate situation where you don’t have time to earn them or do a quick mileage run for cheaper, it’s something to consider, though if you have the time, a mileage run is probably a better option.
Also keep in mind that Delta is currently giving 1,500 MQMs if you sign up for SkyClub membership by December 31, 2012. However, that’s not very cheap either since membership starts at $450 for non-elites (and is as low as $300 for Platinum/Diamond Medallions). You could use your $200 Amex Platinum airline rebate to offset that cost, but it’s still likely more expensive than just buying a mileage run ticket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees