20% Off United Saver Awards to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week United launched a MileagePlus promotion where you can save 20% on select Saver Awards in economy to Europe and 10% on hotel awards worldwide on bookings made now through November 15th for travel between January 15, 2013, and March 13, 2013.
When it comes to the 20% on Saver awards, reduced award mileage prices apply only to travel on United and United Express-operated flights, so codeshare partners don’t count. The discounts appear when the flight results are displayed so you should be able to see which flights this is good for early on in the booking process. There is no need to register and no special codes, the discount will show up automatically.
What’s interesting here is that although the terms state the 20% discount only applies to roundtrips, I found it also automatically kicks in on dual open jaw routings, so you can fly into Paris, for instance, and then back out from Frankfurt, as I found below, so you can make your European vacation a bit more flexible that way.
One of the big downsides is that the discount is only applicable to economy awards and not any premium classes of travel. However, a 20% discount is still a good way to save a few thousand extra miles for your next trip, and the 12,000 you’d save on a roundtrip itinerary to Europe is almost enough for a free one-way domestic award ticket.
Here are the rest of the promotional T&C:
Saver Award sale terms and conditions
- Reduced mileage levels are valid for redemption only until 11:59 p.m. Central time on November 15, 2012.
- MileagePlus member must travel between January 15, 2013, and March13, 2013.
- Reduced award mileage prices apply only to travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights. Not applicable on flights operated by other airlines.
- Saver Sale valid for travel to/from the U.S. (D48), Alaska and Canada to/from Europe.
- Reduced Saver Awards only valid on Saver Awards for roundtrip travel in United Economy.
- Stopovers are not permitted.
- A 21-day advance purchase is required.
- Open jaw allowed within the same region (e.g., fly into JFK and out of EWR).
- This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.
- Award tickets are subject to applicable taxes, fees, charges and checked bag service charges. Award redemption requires payment of U.S. government taxes and fees from $5 for domestic itineraries, including the September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement at a U.S. airport. International fares do not include foreign user, inspection, security or other similarly based charges, fees or taxes from $5, depending on itinerary. All taxes and fees associated with award travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid when the ticket is purchased. Taxes and fees are subject to change without notice and are at the discretion of each country’s government. Any valid wholly unused award ticket may be returned to MileagePlus for a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue. For more information on MileagePlus award travel, visit united.com/awards.
- Award space is subject to availability, and capacity-control restrictions apply. Only a limited number of seats are available at the reduced rate for each market. Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
- Not combinable with other offers.
- Combinable with other award types (e.g., member can redeem Standard Award ticket on the outbound and Saver Award ticket on the return, but only the Saver Award will be eligible for discounted pricing).
- Award only eligible for travel in United Economy.
- Only Global ServicesSM members and select MileagePlus Cardmembers who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for upgrades on award tickets.
- Changes to travel dates are permitted in advance by calling United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331). Changes may be subject to additional service charges up to $150 per ticket (based on account status from where miles were redeemed):
- After an award ticket is issued, an applicable service charge may be imposed for each change requested by the member that necessitates the re-issuance of the ticket.
- If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the validity period, the mileage will be credited back into the member’s account for the applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the appropriate number of miles for the new award.
On a partially used ticket, if the new travel date requested is outside of the validity period, a new one-way ticket must be purchased or a new one-way award at the applicable mileage level must be redeemed. The unused return ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member’s account.
So if you have a trip to Europe coming up this winter – or were considering one – think about booking by the end of next week so you can get in on this discount, and just resign yourself to the fact that you’ll be flying United economy, which isn’t the best product in the sky- but will certainly get you from point A to point B!
Welcome to The Points Guy!