Sunday Reader Question: The Best Credit Card for Balance Transfers (And Free Credit Card Spend)?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Ink Business Cash Credit Card
TPG reader Orlando asks which card is best for balance transfers:
“Quick question, what is the best credit card for balance transfers? I’m trying to consolidate all of my credit card liability into one card, but can’t seem to find the right one.”
In my opinion the Ink Cash Card from Chase is the best credit card to use for balance transfers at the moment since there is an introductory offer of 0% for 6 months, though beware, there are balance transfer fees of $5 or 3% of the amount, whichever is greater.
For those with debt, it’s critical to pay it off to not only save money on interest fees, but to improve your credit score since credit utilization is the #1 factor of your FICO score. Chase also offers the Blueprint program which helps cardholders make a plan to save money and pay down balances. I’ve been in credit card debt in the past and know how difficult it can be to get ahead and pay down balances.
Even if you aren’t in debt, you can leverage the Ink Cash card to “manufacture” credit card spend. For example, say you need to spend $5,000 within 3 months to get the 50,000 point sign-up on the Ink Bold or Ink Plus (which is conservatively worth $1,000 in my book). You can make $5,000 in purchases that you’d normally wait and then let it sit on the Ink Cash card for 6 months for free. Over time you can pay it off as needed so you don’t ever incur any interest fees. Chase is very flexible with shifting credit lines, so say you have a big line of credit on your British Airways Visa that you no longer need- you can shift that to the Ink Cash so you have more “free” spend. Just call Chase at the number on the back of your card and ask them to shift the credit lines because you need to leverage the benefits of the card (it never hurts to mention that you will then be able to shift more of your spend away from a competitor).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees