Good Delta & Swiss Fares: Istanbul from $529 and London To US Cities for Under $600
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like there’s a fun little mileage run possibility going on courtesy of Delta, KLM and Swiss to Istanbul this winter, as well as another Delta fare sale from London to certain US cities that just came up today.
Noted on this Flyertalk thread, there are some low fares from Chicago to Istanbul for travel between January 21 and February 28, 2013 if you book before October 26.
The thread noted fares as low as $523, but the lowest I could find was for about $528. Let’s say you wanted to get away for a long weekend at the end of January, I found a fare from Wednesday, January 30 to Monday, February 4 for $529 roundtrip total on Delta flying via Amsterdam both ways on flights operated by KLM. Your total mileage would be 10,992, so your CPM would be about 4.8 cents.
However, you could add on another leg through Atlanta for a total of $542, bringing your mileage to 12,764 and your total price to $542 for a CPM of 4.2 cents (though it involves some long layovers and taking the transatlantic flight on Delta).
I found an itinerary on Swiss on the same days flying via Zurich for $539 as well. The mileage on this itinerary is 11,080, so the CPM would be 4.86 cents.
Is this an amazing deal on miles? Not jaw-dropping, but if you’re going to get some Medallion mileage bonuses on the Delta itineraries and you were thinking of hitting Istanbul up in low season, this could be a fun reason to start 2013 off with a mileage run.
The other fare sale going on today is a 1 GBP fare sale from London to Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago on tickets in November. The catch is, that fare doesn’t include taxes, which come out to about $550-600 on most routes, and the sale only seems to work on roundtrip tickets that originate in London and head to the US, so this could be great if you are based over there or can get over there cheaply as well.
I just checked out some sample itineraries and found this one from LHR to SFO via Minneapolis:
This other fare from London to Chicago via Detroit came to 353 GBP total ($567).
Are these amazing mileage-runs? No, they’ll put you in the 5-7 cent per mile range, but these are cheaper than fares to/from London have been in a while, so if you have any plans to hop the Pond, this might be a good opportunity. Sadly, these fares are not upgradeable, so expect to be sitting in the back of the bus unless the flight is oversold and you get an operational upgrade (rare, but not impossible).
To search for flights on either route, go to Delta.com -> Planning Tools -> Book a Flight -> and then Select Flexible dates.
To search low fares on all carriers, I recommend using ITA Software, which will scan many carriers and show the lowest fares, though you can’t actually book the fares through ITA- you still need to go to the airline website or an online travel agency.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.