Good Delta & Swiss Fares: Istanbul from $529 and London To US Cities for Under $600
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like there’s a fun little mileage run possibility going on courtesy of Delta, KLM and Swiss to Istanbul this winter, as well as another Delta fare sale from London to certain US cities that just came up today.
Noted on this Flyertalk thread, there are some low fares from Chicago to Istanbul for travel between January 21 and February 28, 2013 if you book before October 26.
The thread noted fares as low as $523, but the lowest I could find was for about $528. Let’s say you wanted to get away for a long weekend at the end of January, I found a fare from Wednesday, January 30 to Monday, February 4 for $529 roundtrip total on Delta flying via Amsterdam both ways on flights operated by KLM. Your total mileage would be 10,992, so your CPM would be about 4.8 cents.
However, you could add on another leg through Atlanta for a total of $542, bringing your mileage to 12,764 and your total price to $542 for a CPM of 4.2 cents (though it involves some long layovers and taking the transatlantic flight on Delta).
I found an itinerary on Swiss on the same days flying via Zurich for $539 as well. The mileage on this itinerary is 11,080, so the CPM would be 4.86 cents.
Is this an amazing deal on miles? Not jaw-dropping, but if you’re going to get some Medallion mileage bonuses on the Delta itineraries and you were thinking of hitting Istanbul up in low season, this could be a fun reason to start 2013 off with a mileage run.
The other fare sale going on today is a 1 GBP fare sale from London to Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago on tickets in November. The catch is, that fare doesn’t include taxes, which come out to about $550-600 on most routes, and the sale only seems to work on roundtrip tickets that originate in London and head to the US, so this could be great if you are based over there or can get over there cheaply as well.
I just checked out some sample itineraries and found this one from LHR to SFO via Minneapolis:
This other fare from London to Chicago via Detroit came to 353 GBP total ($567).
Are these amazing mileage-runs? No, they’ll put you in the 5-7 cent per mile range, but these are cheaper than fares to/from London have been in a while, so if you have any plans to hop the Pond, this might be a good opportunity. Sadly, these fares are not upgradeable, so expect to be sitting in the back of the bus unless the flight is oversold and you get an operational upgrade (rare, but not impossible).
To search for flights on either route, go to Delta.com -> Planning Tools -> Book a Flight -> and then Select Flexible dates.
To search low fares on all carriers, I recommend using ITA Software, which will scan many carriers and show the lowest fares, though you can’t actually book the fares through ITA- you still need to go to the airline website or an online travel agency.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees