I’m Booked for $328 in First to Hawaii!!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m kind of too excited to articulate myself very well, but I will give it a shot. Let’s just say that Jared’s post at Online Travel Review earned him a permanent spot on my Christmas list. Read the original post here and today’s follow-up here. The comments section has extremely helpful information as well. The short story is that due to a favorable currency exchange rate, a promotion for purchasing miles, and a partner relationship with Alaska Airlines, you can purchase $328 in miles on Icelandair and use them to fly first class round trip to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines. Yes, this is real. This is not a 4 to Hong Kong situation. 😉
Million Mile Secrets now has a very helpful and detailed post here. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel with screen shots when he has that covered, so I will just tell you what worked for me.
- I searched for the 75,000 miles RT first class Super Saver award level at Alaska Airlines for the number of seats I needed.
- I compared that with “A” availability on ExpertFlyer.com (free five day trials available).
- I only looked for direct flights from the West Coast. I will position myself from Houston to there. Adding in the Seattle connection seems to be problematic, so I opted to not even attempt that.
- I called Icelandair at 1-800- to verify they saw the same availability that I did before I spent any actual money.
- I then hung-up and purchased the miles online (use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee). You can transfer miles between accounts to save more, but I think the price I was getting is more than fair, so I didn’t do that extra step.
- I called Icelandair back and gave them the airport codes where I wanted to fly to/from. I gave them the dates, the number of people, and they guessed that I wanted first/business class.
- They confirmed the availability and got the information for me and my tiny traveling companion.
- I was charged $38.93 per person in taxes/fees and the 30,000 miles per person that I had previously purchased.
- I got my confirmation number and was told the tickets will be ticket on Monday or Tuesday and will be emailed to me.
They were incredibly nice and helpful over the phone. They knew what I wanted the second they answered (which took about 3-4 minutes). Who knows how long this will last, but it is certainly working right now. Oh my goodness. Holy moley. Happy Friday. I heart Online Travel Review. Aloha!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel