This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For months leading up to our most recent family trip I have been preparing Little C to start carrying her own luggage. I don’t know what the “magic” age is when toddlers should start carrying their own stuff, but I decided that 2 1/2 was a good time for us to start. She already helps with packing her bags and selecting which toys and movies to bring, so this seemed like the next logical step. In order to get her excited about the process, I showed her lots of different bags online and let her pick which one she wanted. I only showed her ones that I would actually be willing to purchase – of course.
She selected the Travel Buddies Percy Penguin luggage set by Trendy Kid. It had pretty good reviews online and she immediately loved the penguin. I knew I wanted to get the bag before our most recent trip to Vegas, but I had been so busy that I forgot to order it until just a couple days before we were to depart on our trip. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem since I have Amazon Prime, and an additional $3.99 will get you one day shipping. However, when I went to order it, the item was showing as requiring extra processing time, so it wouldn’t make it on time. Oops. This was a pretty major fail since Little C was very excited about her penguin, and she would absolutely remember if I didn’t have it for this trip.
So, I did what any sane mom would do in that situation – I started tweeting to see if anyone knew a retail store that sold these bags. I then found the phone number to the Trendy Kid company and called and asked if they had the bags in any retail stores in Manhattan (since that is where I was at the time). They were super friendly and told me that The Container Store not only had the bags in the store available in Manhattan, but they were having a good sale! Wow! I can go pick up the bag the same day, order through the Ultimate Rewards shopping portal, and get it on sale! Triple win. 😉
The set comes with a carry-on sized roller bag and a back pack. The roller bag has a pretty decent rolling ability – especially for a kid’s bag. Little C was totally able to maneuver the bag on her own. Of course, that doesn’t mean that she had the bag the whole time at the airport, but she did a decent job rolling it part of the time. She absolutely loved wearing the back pack. We put all of her clothes and shoes in the roller bag and then let her fill the back pack with her carry-on toys. The bags are not huge, but the backpack held all of her carry-on items, and the roller bag held all of her shoes and clothes for a four-day trip.
I just checked and The Container Store is still running their luggage sale, so the penguins can be yours for $69.99. If you do order them that way, be sure to shop through a portal! They are also available on Amazon.com for a few dollars more. I’m pretty happy thus far with our Trendy Kid penguin bags, but I’m curious as to what type of bags others use for their traveling kiddos? Also, at what age did your little ones start helping with their own bags in the airport?
PS, we had a great trip to Vegas, but I am so glad to be home for more than a couple days in a row!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees