Hyatt 30% Bonus on Purchased Points – Worth It?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now through August 31, 2012, Hyatt is offering bonuses between 10-30% on purchased Gold Passport points (for your own account, you can’t buy them for someone else).
Crunching the Numbers
Here’s how it breaks down:
-Buy 1,000 – 9,000 points and get a 10% Bonus
-Buy 10,000 – 29,000 points and get a 20% Bonus
-Buy 30,000 – 40,000 points and get a 30% Bonus
Normally, Hyatt points cost 2.4 cents each. With this promo, however, when you purchase 9,000 points, you get 9,900 for $216, so 2.2 cents each. When you buy 29,000, you receive 34,800 points for $696, so 2 cents each. Now we’re getting somewhere. Finally, when you purchase 40,000 points, you get 52,000 total for $960, or 1.85 cents apiece. You can only purchase up to 40,000 Gold Passport points for yourself a year.
As usual, it rarely makes sense to make a big points purchase if you don’t have a specific award stay in mind. Especially since even at 1.85 cents, these might be a bit overpriced. However, if you have a particular award stay you’re gunning for and not upcoming opportunities to earn Hyatt points, purchasing enough points to top up might make sense.
There are a couple other cases where I would think about it personally as well. With this promo, you could buy 34,000 points for $816 and get an additional 10,200 for a total of 44,200, enough for two free nights at any top-tier Category 6 hotel such as the newly reopened Park Hyatt Sydney, where rooms are going for $770 a night. So instead of paying $1,540, you’d be saving $724…almost a 50% discount.
On the other hand, if you wanted to stay at a Category 4 property such as the Hyatt Regency Orlando, you’d need 15,000 points. That would cost you $336 (you’d pay for 14,000 and get 2,800 as a bonus). Rooms at this hotel are going for just $170 a night though, so you’d actually be paying double!
Buying a few extra thousand points to top up to the closest award level might make sense, as would redeeming for free nights at Hyatt’s top-tier hotels and resorts since, in general, those are some of the best redemption options out there. However, I would always caution you to check the rates at the specific property you are interested in and see if purchasing points makes sense for your particular situation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees