American Announces New Boeing 777-300 Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American announced this week that the airline would begin flying the first of its fleet of 10 new Boeing 777-300ER’s starting in December, after it takes delivery. Dallas/Forth Worth-Sao Paulo will be the first route the new aircraft fly on December 13, then service will expand in February and April to include routes to and from JFK and London as well. I tried checking for MileSAAver awards and nothing is loaded yet, but I’m going to set up ExpertFlyer alerts. Anyone down for a Sao Paulo meetup? I’ve never been and this is as good of a reason as I can think!
American Airlines Boeing 777-300ER routes will include:
Dallas/Fort Worth-Sao Paulo 3-6x a week
Dallas/Forth Worth-London Heathrow daily service
New York-JFK to London Heathrow daily service
New York-JFK to Sao-Paulo daily service
The new 777-300ERs will be configured as three-class aircraft and will include fully lie-flat First and Business Class seats, Main Cabin Extra seats, and international Wi-Fi capability.
From American’s site, some of the other new features will include:
- Fully lie-flat First and Business Class seating with aisle access from every seat
- Specially designed Main Cabin seating offering more knee room and more comfort
- International Wi-Fi capability
- Universal AC power outlets and USB jacks available at every seat
- Up to 120 movies, and over 150 TV programs and 350 audio selections to choose from
- Unique mood lighting and a dramatic archway and ceiling treatment to create a feeling of spaciousness
- Increased fuel efficiency
You can read about the complete list of amenities onboard these new planes here.
Now might be a good time to start booking award travel on these flights either using American Advantage miles or British Airways Avios. We made some mock bookings and so far most of these flights have MileSAAver award space for 100K miles in business class. I might even just book an award or buy a cheap coach ticket and use one of my American systemwide upgrades to try out the new premium classes.
Despite the bankruptcy, it’s good to see some major investments being made by American since up to this point, it’s fleet has been among the oldest and least fuel efficient in the US airline market. I personally loathe their angled lie flats and look forward to them refurbishing their 767 and 777 fleet to include the new business and economy class cabins (refurbished planes should start rolling out in 2014).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.