Video Sunday Reader Question: Meeting Business Credit Card Spend Requirements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here – American Express® Business Gold Card
TPG reader Kevin asks:
“I recently applied for an American Express small business credit card and I have to reach the $10,000 minimum spend in several months. I’ve read your post on clever ways to reach the minimum spend bonus, but I’m unclear on if the strategy differs on personal or small business cards. If I’m the sole propitiator for a business, are there certain personal spends I can’t make? This is my first business card, so I’m worried groceries/smaller personal purchases would prompt a Fraud Report from Amex.”
As you see in the video, there’s no need to be nervous. It’s true, you don’t want to trigger a financial investigation from Amex, but a business card is basically the same thing as a personal card, and it doesn’t matter what expenses you put on it. Obviously don’t to anything shady, and for your own accounting purposes, you might want to keep your business and personal expenses separate, but from the perspective of meeting minimum spending requirements Amex doesn’t care.
For instance, I got the Amex Business Gold card for business earlier this year and had to hit $10,000 for the full point bonus, so I put some personal expenses on it to do so, and for my own accounting, I just made sure to notate that it was a personal expense. But there is no problem putting these expenses on your card. If you play by the rules and don’t put anything shady on the card–Amex will even let you buy Amex gift cards and count these purchases toward your minimum spending requirement–you should have no problems.
If you need more minimum spend ideas, check out this post.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees