New Benefits Added to Citi Platinum Select AA Visa Card, Better Deals Still Out There
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Citibank just launched a new Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature card with a 30,000 mile sign-up bonus and a new set of American Airlines specific perks. However, Citi is also currently offering, though not advertising, 50,000 mile bonuses for the older versions of the same card. Additionally you can apply for both a personal Visa and Amex card on the same day, netting 100,000 AA miles and a single credit inquiry. The 50,000 mile cards are not my links, but more info can be found on this useful Flyertalk thread. A certain amount of trust will be needed since the application pages don’t specifically outline the bonus offer, but most people who have applied are reporting success on that thread. I got in on the same deal when the bonuses were 75,000 miles a card and many other TPG readers reported the same success judging by the 330 comments on that post. I personally don’t want to be responsible for promoting those links because Citi will eventually pull that offer, so you’ll have to do your own research, but I couldn’t discuss the new AA card offer without letting you know that a potentially better deal exists.
Update: It looks like all current Citi Platinum Select Visa holders will get these new benefits (though not the sign-up bonus if you already have the card)
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Visa Signature® Card – Unverified offer as seen on FlyerTalk.
– For a limited time, Earn 40,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership*
– Your first eligible checked bag is free*
– Priority Boarding with Group 1 privileges* and 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases*
– Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount every cardmembership year with qualifying purchases and cardmembership renewal*
– Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
– Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back – up to 10,000 AAdvantage(R) miles each calendar year*
Is this deal worth it?
It really depends on how much value your mails and how much you will take advantage of the card perks. How I view this offer:
1) I personally value AA miles at around 1.8 cents a piece because I use them for longhaul business and first class travel on Oneworld partners like Cathay Pacific (whose First Class I just flew from Hong Kong and is amazing). AA miles can also be redeemed for off-peak saver awards, like 40,000 miles to Europe roundtrip in coach or 135,000 miles in First Class to Asia on Oneworld partners. The 30,000 miles is worth at least $540 to me because I would easily pay $2,430 for a roundtrip first class Cathay Pacific ticket to Asia.
2) The 10,000 point yearly rebate on awards is another $180.
3) AA and Citi also offer reduced priced awards for Citi AA cardholders – like 17,500 mile economy and 42,500 first class roundtrip awards to select rotating cities. I haven’t taken advantage of these, but this could easily be a 7,500 mile value since I redeem for first class so I’ll divide it in half to be conservative and say it could be worth 3,750 miles or $67.50.
4) If you can spend $30,000, you get a $100 statement credit: $100
5) I don’t pay for checked bags as an Executive Platinum, but if you don’t have elite status that saves you $25 per bag, up to 4 people per reservation.
6) Priority boarding makes snagging overhead bin space easier and takes a little bit of stress out of the boarding process.
All in all, the new benefits are decent and put the card in line with the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, United MileagePlus Explorer Card and US Airways Mastercard. Whether this card is worth it for you all depends on your travel habits and how much money you could potentially save having this card in your wallet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees