And the Winners of the Freddies Tickets Giveaway Are…
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa Signature Card
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post last week about giving away tickets to the Freddies next Thursday in New York.
A lot of you had great tips on maximizing British Airways Avios as well as guesses on which airline and which hotel would take home the top honors at this year’s awards ceremony.
So, without further ado, here are the four winners and the answers they came up with.
1. Because the big news last week was the British Airways 100,000 mile Chase Visa bonus, I gave away two seats to readers who shared a tip on using British Airways Avios miles in the comments of my original post.
The two winners are:
-Jeff, who said: “A great use of Avios is to use them for a short hop flight on American Airlines. I am using 7,500 Avios to get me to the Chicago Seminars this October, where I will learn how to earn even more Avios.” That’ll be a great use of them, Jeff.
-DCMOMO who said: “Using Avios for flights between Caribbean islands is a great value. I recently used them to get from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to St. Kitts. A one-way ticket was running $350 at the last minute, but it only cost me 4,500 Avios.” Another great example of using the Avios distance-based formula to your advantage–and in the Caribbean no less.
2. I gave away another ticket to someone who Tweeted me @thepointsguy with another British Airways tip:
-Mike, otherwise known as infamousdx, who said: “Use the Miles & Cash option to get the most bang for your buck.” Great tip, and one I’ll be discussing later this week in my new Maximizing British Airways Avios Series.
3. I gave the final seat away to a Facebook member who wrote on my wall which airline and hotel they think will win top honors at the award ceremony:
-Erica, who wrote: “I think they’ll go to Starwood Preferred Guest and Lufthansa, although personally, I hope Delta takes it.” Interesting choice, and great to put a European carrier into the mix with Delta coming in a close second—not sure many people will agree with you there, Erica. Meanwhile I think SPG has a good shot since they’ve really ramped up their program within the past year.
So congratulations to all, and thanks again to everyone who commented, Tweeted and Facebooked.
I’ll actually be handing out an award myself that evening, so be sure to follow my Tweets for the full story in real time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.