Flying Blue 40% Bonus on Purchased Miles: A Good Deal?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From April 18- June 30, 2012, you can get up to 40% more miles when you purchase Flying Blue (Air France/ KLM) miles. Flying Blue normally sells miles at 2.5 Euro cents apiece (3.3 cents at today’s exchange rate). With this promo, you can get as many as 56,000 miles for 1,000 euros ($1,310), or 2.3 cents a piece. So is this a good deal?
Generally, no. Flying Blue charges crazy amounts of taxes and fees on awards (think British Airways bad), so that 100,000 mile business class roundtrip award to Europe would cost $2,300 if you were able to purchase the miles, plus ~$900 in fees. At that rate, you are probably better off buying a discounted business class ticket. Forget about making this work for normal coach awards, too.
However, Flying Blue runs Promo Awards, which are half the normal amount of miles. The trick is that they are only for certain cities in North America and they rotate every two months and you only have a two-month window to book them. However, if you can snag one, they can be exception deals, like 50,000 miles roundtrip to Europe from North America (you don’t have to end in a Flying Blue hub – you can go anywhere in Europe, as well as Israel as long as there is Classic award space available).
So you could buy 56,000 miles for $1,310 and then spend $900 in fees, so you have a roundtrip business class award for around $2,200. Not amazing, but easily a 50% discount over paid business class fares.
Another option is to transfer American Express or Starwood points to Flying Blue. Starwood gives a 25% bonus for every 20,000 points transferred and American Express often runs 25% transfer bonuses.
* Bonus Miles will be awarded on transactions made between 18 April and 30 June 2012 and will be credited to the recipient’s account when the transaction is complete.
Award Miles are sold to you by Points.com Inc. Payment must be made by credit card. Award Miles will be deposited into your account within 72 hours of purchase. You have the right to withdraw your purchase within 7 days as provided in the Buy and Gift Award Miles Program Terms and Conditions. To exercise the withdrawal right or to obtain assistance with the Buy and Gift Award Miles Program, please contact the Customer Service Centre.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees