Sunday Reader Question: What Award Booking Sites Do You Recommend?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Mike writes:
“I have a question on behalf of my coworker. She’s taking her family to Europe this summer and has a ton of AA and Avios miles and is having trouble using her miles to get her family over there using her miles and on business class. I’ve seen or heard of people like yourself who help plan travel for her for a fee. Do you have any recommendations of people who can help her book her trip using her miles (or miles and $) to help her get the best deals?”
I originally started TPG to advertise my award booking business, where I used to charge people $50 a ticket to help them use their miles and points to book their dream trips. This business was awesome because it allowed me to use years of knowledge of the frequent flyer world to help people book trips that they never would be possible.
However, award booking is extremely time intensive and after word started to spread, the business became unmanageable. I quickly learned that building an audience and teaching everyone tips and tricks would be a better use of my time than trying to crank out as many award bookings I could do without falling asleep at the computer. So in April 2011 I closed my award booking business and instead have focused on bringing quality content to the site every day. It’s a difficult task since I post 2-5 times a day, 365 days a year. However, it has paid off since readership has quadrupled since I shifted to full-time blogging.
That being said, who can you hire to help you book an award if you need a little help maximizing your miles?
I can personally vouch for three services because I know the owners and know they do quality work. However, if you run an award booking service and want to advertise it, please feel free to provide a link in the comments section.
1) Matthew at upgrd.com. I actually enlisted his help last year to assist me with this site’s overflow award booking requests. Matthew always follows through and is very client-focused. Price: $150 per person for one way or round-trip award redemptions. In addition you are responsible for paying any taxes or other fees due to the airline.
2) Pointspros.com. Ben, the voice behind the popular One Mile at a Time blog also runs this boutique award booking business. Pricing: $150 for the first passenger on any type of award. $100 for each additional passenger on the same general trip.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.