Cathay Pacific Temporarily Suspends Codeshare Booking through American Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to this thread on Flyertalk, while Cathay Pacific was upgrading its booking systems, its award availability shown on partner sites has gotten really messed up, specifically through British Airways and American Airlines, and travelers hoping to book codeshare flights on those airlines have hit a wall.
Apparently booking agents at BA and AA can see tons of availability on Cathay Pacific, but CX won’t allow those seats to be booked. Not only that, but posters have also reported that even revenue seat availability has been zeroed out for days.
A few posters have reported success finding open seats using KVS Tool, which still seems to be registering the correct availability information of seats, both award seats and various fare classes. However, when they called the American Airlines Executive Platinum line, the AA agent told them they had a special note not to book Cathay flights while the airline tries to work out their computer glitches…which Cathay claims it is doing now.
Not only that, but even people who had previously booked seats on Cathay Pacific through American Airlines have gotten itinerary updates that list them on different flights and in different classes than they booked. At least AA has been able to fix those after some time spent straightening things out on the phone, but that has to be pretty stressful to see a few days before departure. It’s also been reported that AA agents can now book Cathay, but only within 5 days of departure. Seems like a crapshoot all around!
I emailed my contacts at American and am awaiting a response. Has anyone had issues booking Cathay seats in the past week? Tell us about it!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees