US Airways 50% Discount on Purchased Miles: Good Deal?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US Airways is running a 50% off sale on their purchased points for people who purchased them in 2011. Normally they cost 3.5 cents a piece, but with this promo you can get 50,000 for a total of $940.65, or 1.9 cents a mile. This offer is targeted towards people who purchased miles in 2011, but you can try using this link to see if you are eligible.
So is this a good deal? It depends.
US Airways used to sell miles for 1.4 cents a piece, so if you simply look at the price increase it may not be such a good deal. However, US Airways is a Star Alliance member and has a pretty generous award chart, so buying miles may still make sense – especially if you value business or first class international travel.
For domestic roundtrip awards in coach, it would be like paying $475 for restricted low level awards and remember – you don’t earn miles and can’t get upgraded on award tickets. In that case, I’d recommend just buying your ticket unless you fly super expensive routes, like to Alaska, or small markets that charge a bundle.
The value gets better when you think about international travel. I can fly from Miami to Beijing for only 90,000 miles in business class, which at 1.9 cents a mile would cost me $1,710 plus any award taxes. I don’t know about you, but I’d easily pay $2,000 for confirmed business class to Northern China (For the same amount you can also go to Japan, Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, S. Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.)
US Airways also has offpeak awards, so you can fly to Europe for 60,000 miles ($1,140) in business class from January 15- February 28. Pretty good deal, especially since US Airways has a decent business class product that they are currently in the process of upgrading to fully lie flat beds.
Before you purchase miles, make sure you have a goal in mind. I’d recommend reviewing their Star Alliance award chart here and deciding on what awards you might eventually redeem for and then decide whether you are okay paying for that amount at 1.9 cents a mile. If so, then buy the miles! If not, you may want to wait for more lucrative deals or just try building up your accounts the old fashioned way by flying or buying needless stuff for the next Grand Slam promotion!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees