25% Off Iberia Flights With Amex, Includes Cheap Thanksgiving Business Class ($1,280 total JFK-MAD!)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m usually skeptical of “special discounts” on airline fares, because I feel like they always restrict the cheapest fare classes, thus negating most of the value of the discount. However, I was happily surprised when I researched the current 25% Off Iberia fare sale when you use an American Express card until 10/31/11.
To test it, I priced out a business class fare during the discounted Thanksgiving weekend. For JFK-MAD November 25-29 the regular fare came to $1,495.10, which is pretty good in itself.
With the 25% off the fare dropped to $1,280.10, which is pretty incredible for roundtrip, total JFK to Madrid (7,177 miles roundtrip). These are I fares, which earn 100% base miles, 25% class of service bonus, 1.5 EQPs and any elite bonuses.
Plus, this would qualify for the current Oneworld transatlantic bonuses that AA is offering (25,000 bonus miles for first trip). Also, you get 3 points per dollar on airfare if you book this using your Amex Premier Rewards Gold card, which is another easy 3,600+ points.
Many of these flights are actually on AA 757’s which aren’t the best and certainly not the worst. For my recent review of JFK-MAD on AA in business class check out this post.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees