Up to 5,000 Bonus Points for Hotel Transfers to Aeroplan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines often add incentives to transfer hotel points to them, because the hotel chains actually pay the airlines for the miles you get. From August 22 – Sept 18 Air Canada’s frequent flyer program Aeroplan is now offering up to 5,000 extra Aeroplan miles when you transfer the equivalent of 25,000 miles or hotel points into Aeroplan miles. Registration required.
Hotel points -> at least 5,000 Aeroplan = 1,000 bonus
Hotel points -> at least 10,000 Aeroplan = 2,000 bonus
Hotel points -> at least 25,000 Aeroplan = 5,000 bonus
Bonus can be earned once per hotel partner, who include:
Starwood Hotels & Resorts- Starwood Preferred Guest®
Best Western International® – Best Western Rewards®
Marriott® International – Marriott Rewards®
Hilton Worldwide® – Hilton HHonors®
InterContinental® Hotels Group – Priority Club® Rewards
Accor Hotels and Resorts – A|Club
CarlsonSM Hotels Worldwide – Club CarlsonSM
Choice Hotels International® – Choice Privileges®
Coast Hotels & Resorts – Coast Rewards
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® – Hyatt Gold Passport™
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts – Golden Circle
Wyndham Worldwide – Wyndham Rewards®
TPG reader Martin emailed me that he was excited for this promo, since he’d now have a good reason to transfer the Wyndham points he bought on the cheap, back in May during the Discover America promotion.
This also means 20,000 Starwood points transferred to Aeroplan would equate to 30,000 Aeroplan (5,000 Aeroplan bonus + 5,000 Starwood bonus when you transfer in 20,000 point increments +20,000 = 30,000). 20,000 points can get you a free night at a category 6 hotel (like W South Beach) or 2 nights at a category 4 property, so you should do a cost benefit analysis before you do a any transfer. If you want to do a business class trip to London, 1/3 of a roundtrip flight may be more valuable than 1 night at a high-end hotel. It all depends on how you value each currency.
Personally, I have enough Amex points/Airline miles that I generally use my hotel points for hotel stays, but this may make sense if you’ve got a bunch of hotel stays and need airline miles. Even though Aeroplan increased their award charts this summer, there are still decent values to be had, like their 90,000 mile business class award from North America to many places in Western Europe. Remember – you can redeem Aeroplan miles on all Star Alliance partners and they have very flexible routing rules, that include two stopovers and round-the-world routing.
As always, Loyalty Traveler has great analysis of this promo.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Maximum 5,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles can be earned per participating
partner loyalty program per Aeroplan Member during this promotion. To
be eligible for this offer, Aeroplan Member needs to register for the
promotion and convert hotel partner loyalty points between August 22
and September 18, 2011. Registration can be done after the conversion
as long as they are both within the promotional period. Bonus miles
will be credited to the member’s account by Aeroplan up to eight weeks
from the date the member makes his/her request with the partner.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.