TPG/Starwood American Express Contest: Win 100,000 Starpoints
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Starwood Preferred Guest points are one of the most valuable points out there. Most points aficionados value SPG points highly because there are many ways to get really good value out of them – such as Cash & Points, airline transfers, free nights (including 5th night free), Starwood Moments and night & flights packages.
To highlight all of the different redemption opportunities, American Express approached me recently with an opportunity too good to pass up: run a contest where TPG readers give their suggestions on how they’d use 100,000 Starpoints and then I get to choose one lucky winner who will receive 100,000 Starpoints. I’ll also create a post on how I’d use 100,000 Starpoints and for my efforts, I’m also getting 100,000 Starpoints. Sounds good to me!
To enter, simply comment on this post with how you’d use 100,000 Starpoints. Since I will be the sole judge, I’ll be looking for a mixture of point-savvy and creativity. Your proposal must include at least 2 redemption methods (for example, you can’t just say you’d convert 100,000 points into 125,000 American miles and get a first class ticket to Tokyo).
While I’d love to learn something new (for example showing how transferring points to an obscure airline transfer partner can be beneficial), I’m really most interested to see how you go about researching the best usages and how these points would benefit you. This contest is for open to everyone with a Starwood Preferred Guest account (if you don’t have one, you can sign-up here for free) and most importantly, I want to see that you are having fun with this.
Rules (trying to keep this simple):
1) Your math must total exactly 100,000 points (there can be a cash component if you choose to use Cash & Points)
2) Keep it short and sweet. You can give me background on why you’d use the points, but please don’t post a novel. I anticipate I’ll have many entries to evaluate!
3) Be original.
4) You can create a video if you’d like, though it can only be 30 seconds and the link to the video must be posted in your comments entry and it must be public so everyone can see.
5) TPG family members and employees/consultants are ineligible (sorry!).
6) You must submit your entry in the comments section of this post by Saturday August 20th at 11am Eastern Daylight Time. The winner will be announced on Sunday, August 21st.
7) One entry per person and you must use a valid email address when you leave your comment (only I will see it).
To get your creative thought processes started, I’ll be posting several Starwood related posts in the next couple of days and I’ll post my 100,000 point showcase on Saturday after the entry deadline. Feel free to ask any questions below!
This contest coincides with the special limited time offer of 30,000 points for the Starwood American Express when you spend $4,500 within 3 months. A great deal since the $65 annual fee is waived the first year and normally this card only offers 25,000 points after $15,000 in spend (though I could see the bonus going back down to 10,000 after this limited time offer which ends on Monday August 22, 2011).
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments below (don’t worry, it won’t count as your entry).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees