Sunday Reader Email Question: How Do I Find Cheap Airfares?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader David writes:
“The end of the year is fastly approaching and I am striving for Premier Executive status with United. I know this means I am going to have to do some mileage runs to make up about 10k EQM’s. What is the best way to search for low fares out of my home airport (SJC) without just searching for random cities on UA.com until a good price comes up?”
First off, I’m not an expert with constructing mileage runs and with cheap fares, so I’m hoping this post draws in some of the vast expertise of TPG readers. Also, I usually wait until October/November to really start thinking about runs since so many things can change day-t0-day. However, I do have some starter tools that can help you find the lowest fares without having to use a clunky site like united.com. Check out the following resources:
1) Farecompare FlyerTalk Tool. This tool allows you to filter flight searches by city, price, alliance and cost per mile. Most mileage runners want 3 cents per elite mile, but that’s been pretty hard to get these days. Every person has a different calculator for elite status and the value of having status to a frequent flyer largely depends on how often the benefits are used. Unfortunately, many people will do anything to attain status, but barely get any use out of it.
2) Travelocity Flexible Date Search. This allows you to search for the absolute lowest fares at any given time, so it often pays out.
3) Some airline website have decent flexible date searches which can help you sniff out the low fares. Not that it’ll help for United, but for example, Delta.com –> Planning tools -> Book a flight. They allow searching by flexible airports and flexible dates (including a nifty flexible weekend calendar search).
4) Flyertalk Mileage Run forum can help you identify many mistake fares and overall good economy and business/first fares as well. I usually get in on amazing mistake fares a couple times a year (like my 3 consecutive trips to Stockholm and Copenhagen in April). You need to act very quickly when you see these fares, especially since most airlines allow risk free 24 hour cancellations.
6) Hipmunk is a new way to search a lot of different fares.
What other tools are out there?
Overall, if you want to go through a first-hand workshop on constructing mileage runs, I recommend coming to the Chicago Seminars in October. I’ll be there speaking about American Express points but other bloggers will be covering other topics, including Ben on constructing mileage runs.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees